Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Retrench!

As a modern nod to the classic Pioneers in Petticoats, Jeremy and I have declared our intention to retrench in 2007 (having an expensive hospital stay and a tiny income also contributed to our decision). Part of our retrenchment includes my goal of dividing sometimes cumbersome household duties over several days so as not to feel backed up and overwhelmed (some may remember similar strategies during our "Vigorous Living" stage).

So now, the days of my week are divided as follows:
  • Monday: Makin' Bakin'--this is the day I bake bread and other tasties.
  • Tuesday: TCB--this is the day I "Take Care of Business" by paying bills, filing, and managing other household elements.
  • Wednesday: Wild Card Wednesday--this is my day off, which means that other than taking care of Clara and showering, I can do whatever my heart desires.
  • Thursday: A Day for Laver--taken from the French verb meaning "to wash" (pronounced lah-vay), this is the day we do laundry and ironing.
  • Friday: Freewheeling Friday--this is the day I go out on the town to get groceries, go to the library, etc. Jeremy has no morning obligations on Fridays, so he can parent Clara while I roam Syracuse.

On Saturday, we divide household chores and enjoy one another's company (and Jeremy usually reads for school). And of course Sunday is the Day of Rest, so we go to church, play games, and talk to family on the phone.

So far, our cry of Retrench! has been going pretty well. We're trying to make the most of our resources, which takes a lot of creativity. But if there's anything we enjoy, it's fashioning solutions to seemingly difficult tasks. Carry on!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Retrench! I tell you what, I'm glad to have such a smart-thinking sister and brother-in-law. I hope you don't mind that I steal some of your ideas. I just wonder why I didn't think of something like this earlier. And I bet Mom wonders why I didn't think of it earlier, either. Love ya!