Sunday, October 14, 2007

Tender Bee


Just for you: a preview of Clara-B in her bumblebee costume. No, I did not buy it at Pottery Barn Kids, but if it looks familiar, I totally and blatantly ripped of the PB Kids design, which I saw in their catalog. Sixty bucks for an infant's Halloween costume? Ha! Not on my watch. This was made for about five dollars (if you don't count the high cost of my time, of course). I think it turned out fairly well, though I would implore you not to examine the zipper in the back. And I am still working out how to attach a small stinger and how to make a little antannae-headband. And I decided wings were a bit of a hassle, so she is a flightless bee. In spite of all this, however, I think she's the cutest little bee I've ever in my whole life seen!

6 comments:

Naomi said...

That costume looks fantastic! Although I still think a Caribou would've been almost as cute. :p

Rebekah said...

Oh shut up right now! That is the cutest costume ever! She looks so sweet.

I think that the wingless bee is the way to go. It makes a statement that PETB (People for the Ethical Treatment of Bumblebees) would be proud of. Too many bees have been grounded in recent years due to the violent removal of their wings by sociopathic pre-teens. Now there is a huge population of disabled bees and their hives just can't support them. It's a real shame. Rock on, Clara.

Tristen said...

She's the cutest bee I've ever seen too!! GREAT work making her costume! We just figured this year that Avery wouldn't remember Halloween so I wasn't worrying about a costume... but maybe I shouldn't be so quick to assume. Maybe I'll try to come up with something too... :)
Loved the post about the rain. I just unloaded all of my groceries from Costco with a fussy baby all in the rain. Exciting times.
And finally about the gravity-- Avery is covered with bruises from head to toe. She seriously falls over onto or pulls everything down on her. Poor thing. I promise I watch her but I just don't know how kids make it these days.

Rachel said...

Naomi,
Will research caribous for next year's costume.

Reba,
I was worried about the PETB reaction if I fashioned her some wings. Dodged a bullet there.

Tristen,
I don't think Clara will remember this either, but I couldn't help myself.

Katie said...

Rachel - That is the most adorable costume! I am so impressed that you made it! Even if babies don't remember, we'll never forget their cute selves dressed up. And think how much fun they'll have looking back on it later!

Well, I'm due any second, so maybe next time you hear from me, I'll have exciting news . . .

Rebekah said...

I just saw the 'real' version on someone else's blog...totally not worth the money. You did a really good job and it looks exactly the same.