Saturday, January 12, 2008

100 Best?

I've been doing a little research for a project I have in the works (details to follow at some point) and came across (again) the Modern Library's list of the 100 best books. I've seen the list before, but I don't recall having seen the readers' poll list, and I am truly stunned! In the readers' list of the 100 best novels, the top ten selections include four by Ayn Rand and three by L. Ron Hubbard. In the readers' nonfiction list, the top ten includes one by Rand, two about Rand, and one by L. Ron Hubbard. Weird!! Obviously polls like this are completely self-selected, but I wonder how the word got out to so many Rand and/or Hubbard enthusiasts!?

I should say here that I've never read anything by L. Ron Hubbard, and the only Rand I've read is The Fountainhead, which I did not much like. But regardless, I just can't imagine that either of these lists is actually reflective of the general reading public. I'd be interested to hear other thoughts, including thoughts on the "official" list. I have yet to read Ulysses, but I'm really starting to wonder what all the fuss is about. And I also have a hard time believing that no women have written anything worthy of the top ten (the Radcliffe's Rival list does better here).

Read on!

No comments: