Monday, August 18, 2008

Oly on my mind

I have fond memories of the last summer Olympics. Jeremy and I had just moved to Bozeman, and we had two full weeks in which to do essentially nothing while we waited for school to start. Fortuitously, those two weeks just happened to be the two weeks of Olympic Glory in Athens. As I recall, we explored the wonders of Bozeman, watched the Olympics, ate, and slept. I find it hard to believe we'll ever have two weeks like that again.

Jump with me to the current Oly games, broadcast "live" from Beijing. I say "live," of course, because they're only really "live" on the east coast. But if you live in, say, the Pacific time zone, as we do, you are forced to watch the games on delay but still in the east coast time block: from 8:00 p.m. until midnight.

If you know us at all, you will know that the only time Jeremy and I stay up until midnight is when we are literally forced to--for example, by a tyrannical newborn. Otherwise, our engines shut down around 10:00. But for the sake of Sport, we have been keeping slightly later hours that we are wont to do, so we could enjoy the thrill of watching Michael Phelps compete "live" for gold, three hours after he'd finished racing.

Despite the late hours we've been forced to keep (I know there are many out there who are disappointed in my lack of Oly spirit), we've actually enjoyed watching many of the events. Phelps really is a wonder, and some of the "lesser" events--some shown, mercifully, during the lunch hour--have also been exciting to watch. Clara has loved watching midday "splashing in the ocean" (swimming in the pool), cycling, running, and sculling. It's been a good time.

But so help me, if I have to watch Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh play one more game of beach volleyball in their too-tiny "uniforms," (even Jeremy is bored with it!) I may make good on my threat to become a Canadian.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I'm with you on this whole post. I've fallen asleep in front of the TV every night. People are complaining that ratings are down this year because kids are too busy playing Halo to watch TV- but I contest that they're all in bed! We've watched our fair share of gymnastics and McDonald's commercials. We've envied Kerri, admired Michael, and pitied Shawn and Nastia (what were their parents thinking?)

Good job for helping Clara appreciate the Olympics!

Ericka said...

I too find myself with the t.v. on until my eyes slowly droop to a close, my favorites have been Phelps as well as the gymnastics. As for all those other sports, I could do without them! Matt always gets annoyed when he is watching ESPN and across the scroll at the bottom comes "Phelps wins the gold again!" So, his surprise is always swelched due to over excited ESPN news coverage for those of us who haven't yet watched the "live" race!

As for me I am doing well, just ready for this baby to come....I am glad to see that your little guy is still holding out and that he finding his position favorable!! Just a couple more weeks!! YAY!!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Ha ha! Lou and I have made many a joke about those ridiculous outfits, especially the skanky mesh parts - puh-lease!
Watching Phelps race is definitely exciting, but my favorite is usually the gymnastics. If only the judges this year weren't complete doof-balls. Do people think that just because the Olympics are in Beijing that the Chinese should get all the golds no matter what? It is so frustrating to see them give scores that seem blatantly biased! I've been thinking lately that maybe I should stop watching so that I can keep my rage in check...

The Tolboe family said...

We too have enjoyed the Olys this year. We have been staying up sometimes until 2 am to watch them. We can't get enough...that makes for some tough mornings...but it is so worth it! Michael Phelps ROCKS!

Mom said...

awww... we don't have cable, so we've missed it this year. :( But my grandmother is gonna tivo the closing ceremony for us, so at least we'll get a glimpse of all the games!

Random question Rachel, but do you have a video of the Asian drum/dance routine you did in H.S.?! I know its been 10 years or more, but I still remember and would love to see it again! LOL