Sunday, September 14, 2008

Give the people what they want


A vocal contingent of our worldwide readership has been demanding more pictures of our precious (and precocious) offspring. I have always tried not to make this only a "baby blog," but sometimes that's an impossible dream. Plus, I can't have any regrets about showing off my kids!


Jonathan was one week old yesterday, an event we celebrated by giving him a much appreciated sponge bath. He is (knock on wood) a delightful newborn, which makes everything in life seem all the more rosy. He does not, at least at this point, suffer from the day-night confusion that so plagued Clara (and her parents). Most of his wakeful time occurs during the day, so at night he wakes up just to eat then goes back to bed. I love him!


Clara is adjusting well enough to her new role as big sister. She gets really excited when she sees "Jon-than" and always wants to "hold it." And she likes to rip the hat off his head and softly stroke his hair (if only we could get the hat removal to be a little more gentle). We have obviously told her a time or two that it's important to be soft with Jonathan, because even when she's running toward him at full tilt she always reassuringly tells us, "Care-la soft! Care-la soft!" Indeed.


For anyone wondering how we've managed to help Clara adjust to having a baby brother in such a swift and healthy manner, we are happy to share our secret to success: treats. This girl has had more bits of sweeties and ice cream in the last week than she's probably had in the last year. Don't worry, though: we'll be weaning her from her sugary bounty soon enough.


As for me and Jeremy, we are somehow surviving--nay, thriving--on greatly reduced sleep and more than twice the amount of parenting than we had a week ago (how is it that when you double your progeny you more than double your workload? Talk about a paradox).


And of course very little of our sanity would be preserved without the able help of my mom, who has done more than her share of story reading, diaper changing, and meal fixing. Cheers all around!

10 comments:

Flansburgh Family said...

He's adorable. And I agree with you - I don't know how 2 children quadruples your workload! It's insane sometimes! And leaving the house? By the time everyone is fed, clothed, diapered/toileted, cleaned up...it's time to do one of those things again!! Congrats again!

Unknown said...

Okay he is just adorable! I can't belive it! I am so happy things are going well and he is here! Clara looks like she loves being a big sister and what a proud daddy! We only wish we could be there to help! Love you all!

Ericka said...

How sweet! I love that Clara is trying so hard to be soft!! And that she is transitioning well. You are my light amongst darkness. I have two friends who just had babies and both of the babies are colicky and temperamental! So to hear that there is a newborn out there who is an all around perfect baby gives me hope that mine could be that way too!! I am glad to hear you are doing well too! Congrats again!!

Mom said...

WOW! I came online for the first time in a week... logged onto blogger, and had no idea, you had given birth! Good job, momma! All these posts has really made my day a brighter one!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!

Jonathan and big sister Clara are just as cute as can be!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

I love the picture where his eyes just look SO big! It reminds me of you and Clara. And oh, if only we could get our older children to be gentle with babies. Don't worry too much though - it makes 'em tough (if they survive the brain damage from being knocked in the head so much, that is...)!

Britney said...

Jeremy and I found your blog through Steph's, and have enjoyed reading about your recent adventures. Congratulations especially on the birth of Jonathan. What a precious little guy.

Megan said...

Precious! I realized just now that I forgot to comment when I read this. Sorry. I tell you what, that picture of him swaddled in all of the blankets makes me want to hold him soo bad!! I almost can't even stand it. Also, I want to squeeze Clara. She's too cute! And I smile at the thought of her streaking through the house squealing "Care-la soft!" And that picture of her eating her sweet bite looks JUST like your toddler pics, Rach. It's uncanny.

Can't wait to see you!

Megan said...

Also, I dig the new background. I figured out how to make my own now! For an example, go here.
Fancy huh? I'm taking requests.

Katie said...

RACHEL! He is SO cute. Congratulations. First off, you are right about more than doubling the workload. Luckily, we more than double the joy too. Emmy got lots and lots of sweets when Sophie was born (it didn't help that it was Halloween) - and it was quite a process weaning her. Maybe we still haven't. She also got a lot more TV - which we're still trying to cut back as well - esp. since Sophie is starting to notice it. Enjoy this newborn time! I'm so happy for you.

Tara said...

He is absolute perfection!!! Congratulations!!!