So we live about a quarter of a mile from the Coeur d'Alene National forest (as you can see from our front yard), and just north of our neighborhood is a winding road that goes for about two miles into a canyon before ending at the heads of several trails. This morning at about 6:00, Jeremy was running up said canyon road, enjoying the crisp morning and keeping his eyes out for the sundry wildlife he typically encounters on his excursions into the weeelderness.
Then something happened that I can guarantee does not happen in every state in our fair nation.
As he was running up the road, he heard a truck bearing down on him. Just as he was getting slightly nervous and thinking the truck should probably slow down before it killed him, it pulled up next to him and stopped. Inside were two 20-something young hunters in full camoflauge. The one nearest to Jeremy rolled down his window, so Jeremy stopped.
"Excuse me," the hunter politely inquired. "Have you happened to see a deer run through here with an arrow in its side?"
"Uh, no," was Jeremy's eloquent reply.
"Oh. Okay. Thanks."
And off they drove.
Thus begins the north Idaho bowhunt. Jeremy is thinking of investing in an orange running shirt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Wow, that is priceless - I can't wait to tell Lou! And what a great story that makes...
yeah, pip, please get some kind of brightly colored vest. yeesh.
That's too bad he didn't see the deer...do you realize how much organic meat that would have supplied your family? It would have fit in perfectly with your fresh, whole food, food appreciation post! Only in Idaho!! I love that state!
Yikes! Maybe Jeremy ought to consider an alternate route until after the hunt. I'm not the color orange insures one's safety.
Invest!! By all means, invest in that orange running shirt. Oh, goodness. Only in Idaho . . . (I am allowed to say that because I live in Idaho, too) he he
Crazy!
Glad to hear you're adjusting to the locals! *)
Rachel, your dad just stopped by our house on his bike. He looked like a happy grandpa! I can't wait for the next post! Congrats!
Post a Comment