On Saturday I did the bike leg of a triathlon relay with two friends of mine. I will admit that it was my idea--I can be very rash--and that it was brutal, but it was fun. I think. The main problem was that the race organizers changed the bike course about 36 hours before the race, so instead of a 12.4 mile ride with one steep hill (the rest of the course was mostly smaller rolling hills) I had to ride a 10 mile course that was 5 miles more or less straight uphill and 5 miles more or less straight downhill. Since I'd trained for different terrain, my poor body was not prepared. Nevertheless, I finished--and in less time than I thought I would take. So there you have it.
And to prove how rash I am, this morning I talked my friends into doing another triathlon--this time not as a relay!--just four weeks from now. They're on board, I'm having second thoughts, but I'm strapping on my running shoes this evening for my first training run. And I bought goggles, so clearly I'm committed.
Are you ready to try a tri yourself? Be like me: don't think, just do!

11 comments:
Good for you! I would love to try it! However, I am not sure how many triathlons they have in Tucson in 110 degree heat! Who knows tho, they may have em! Hope you do just as well at the next one!
Very cool! Triathlons are addictive, I tell you. I'm sure you'll love doing it all yourself because it's physically AND mentally stimulating. It's really fun. I can't wait until I can get back into it as well. Good luck with your next one--keep us posted!
I am so proud of all of my friends going out and exercising like this!! Jana doing marathons, you doing triathalons - it's so exciting! As you probably already know, I am a HUGE fan of exercising, so I am happy to others getting on the workout boat! It is so good for you, physically and psychologically - I just love it. I will say that I am jealous that you guys are able to run in these things, though. I have chronic shin splint problems that prevent from doing any long distance running (which is a shame, because I really love it, but my love for it is what caused the shin splints, of course...). I dream of being able to do it again some day... :)
Wow, way to go! That is awesome. I have taken up 5Ks... which is not as impressive. :)
Miss you!
You are out of control as always. I definitely shouldn't have eaten that big peach milk shake tonight made with half and half. Tomorrow I will start setting some goals. You are awesome.
Didn't you love it?!? I just did a tri in July. I wish you were closer and we could train together.
That is AWESOME!!! Congrats Rachel! I would love to try a tri! I like that, try a tri!! Maybe next summer when I can train on my bike. I am working on getting a trailer so I can take my kids! Super Fun!
Congrats on the tri! Isn't it a joyous thing to have your body back after a long pregnancy/recovery and to be able to set goals like that?
Good luck on the upcoming race.
Good for you. That doesn't even appeal to me, but I am so happy you are doing it. Good luck in 4 weeks.
Way to go! That is so much work and time. You are amazing!
Way to go! That is so much work and time. You are amazing!
Post a Comment