Thursday, September 17, 2009

Best Friends

If any of my dear readers have seen the PBS show Word World, I want you to picture, if you can, the character Shark. Got it? This image will be important for you as you study this picture of Clara. I'm sure you'll be able to tell this without any prompting from me, but just in case, this is a picture of Clara with Best Friend Pretend Shark. That's what she calls him, and that's who she has her arm around.


Clara just loves Best Friend Pretend Shark. He is a great friend to her, and he's generally quite fun to have around. He doesn't live at our house, of course, since he's water dwelling by nature, so he's usually either "very far away at the ocean" or "very far away at the lake." The phrase "very far away" is clearly relative, since we are but five minutes from the lake but a solid five hours from the ocean. Nevertheless, Shark manages to make either commute in good time when he is summoned to our home.

The funny thing about Best Friend Pretend Shark, though, is that sometimes he is either unwilling or unable to get to our house by himself. This typically happens when we're in the car.

"Where's my Best Friend Pretend Shark?" Clara asks.

"I'm not sure," I'll reply, hoping that he'll show up so we won't have to spend our whole car ride talking about where he is and why he isn't in the car and where he'll possibly sit when he gets here since the diaper bag is on the passenger seat.

Typically, though, if we're in the car and Shark needs to come along I'll either have to convince her that he's spending the day with his family or I'll have to be close enough to the lake to swing by. If we can get a visual of the lake (and by this I mean if Clara can get a visual of the lake) then Clara will start yelling at him to get in the car.

In some ways I feel bad for Shark, since every time he finally makes it into the car (and I buckle his seatbelt) he is almost instantly forgotten. He doesn't get to go swimming with us or to the store or to the park. He just gets buckled in and has to sit around in the hot car. Poor Shark. Oh well. It probably beats swimming around in the lake. He is a shark, after all.

7 comments:

Katie said...

This is absolutely hilarious. I LOVE this story and I love the way you told it.

Emily said...

I stared at your couch for two minutes trying to see the shark within. Then I realized you meant Clara's other arm was around Shark.

I'm sad we haven'y had friends like that around here. We even have a lake very close.

MOM/SUSAN said...

I agree with Katie--your gift in telling the story makes it all the more enchanting. You are the best Mom to be so helpful in making sure he's safely buckled in. I sure do hope he comes with Clara in December. I can't wait to meet him.
(By the way, I LOVE your background-- much cuter than mine...it is a burden being me.)

Ericka said...

So funny! I had myself a good chuckle while reading your story! I love love love the imagination of a little kid! We don't have any imaginary friends here, but we apparently have had two dogs named Tony and Fivel who died when Jackson was a little boy...so sad!

Unknown said...

I just love it! What little ones come up with! I just can't believe how big Clara is now! Bryan just started with an imaginary friend Ryan. He was even dressed on day lying on the floor (just the clothes). Funny! Funny!

Joan said...

My daughter Amy had an imaginary friend for several years. Her name was Cindy and she had red pigtails. I had to set her a place at the table when we ate, and as far as I know she did live with us most of the time. I was worried about it and asked the doctor if that was normal. He said it's not that usual, but is normal and indicates a high IQ so I quit worrying. One day, Cindy just disappeared. I was rather sad. Cute story!

Rebekah said...

Frame that picture! That's so awesome. You should cut out a little picture of Shark and add it right next to her.