Sunday, December 06, 2009

Best Book of 2009


Looking back over my Goodreads list, I noticed that I read several books that I quite liked this year. But if I had to choose one book that I read in the last 12 months and truly enjoyed, I'd have to go with Life of Pi. There's a chance I actually read this just before the New Year, but even so it meets all of the qualifications of good reading to me: great writing, a gripping story, sympathetic characters, and--perhaps most importantly--it stayed with me. Even after a full year (if not more) I still find myself thinking about Life of Pi. Great read.

At the same time, I vaguely remember having shed actual tears while reading this year. What book was that? Does anyone remember?

4 comments:

Kelly Mertz said...

Do I get points for a good guess? I think it was Little House on the Prairie.

Katie said...

Rachel - Was it "Friday Night Knitting Club?" I read it based on your recommendation and I believe you said you cried. I liked Life of Pi too.

Elder Richey said...

Was it The Book Thief?

KS said...

Oooooooooooo. I have so been wanting to read this. Thanks for the reminder. I think I will go out and buy a copy.