Clara, as I may have mentioned before, truly loves dinosaurs. Her favorite show is PBS's Dinosaur Train, and she is always getting new dinosaur books from the library and from Goodwill. She retains an incredible amount of information about the dinosaurs we read about, and she can identify more than a dozen by sight. She is fond of talking about dinonychus's "terrible claw" (and likes to pantomine how a dinonychus can tear the flesh of other dinosaurs), and she is often torn about whether T. Rex or allosaurus is the "fiercest dinosaur to ever roam the earth." Sometimes while perusing one of her dinosaur books, she'll point out a particularly bloody carnivorous scene and say, "Look Mom--that is so fierce!"
The other day, Jeremy and I were reading to her before bed. She really wanted to figure out how to best tell apart the sauropods--what best differentiates an apatosaurus from a brachiosaurus or a diplodocus or an argentinosaurus. We decided that the brachiosaurus was the most distinctive, and we pointed out that she has a little plastic piggy bank shaped like a brachiosaurus. This shifted the conversation towards piggy banks and other money matters, and she reminded us of how, six months or so ago, Jonathan broke her nice froggy bank and that she was in need of a new one.
"You're probably right," I said. "It would be good for you to save some money, so when you're bigger you can go to college or go on a mission."
"Or go to the store," she responded.
"What would you get at the store with your money?" I asked. She had no real response for this (money makes no sense to her), so Jeremy told her that if she saved money for college then she could go to college and become a paleontologist. Well, this struck her as just about the greatest idea of all time.
"Mom," she said, "When I'm bigger like you and go to college, can I wear your clothes?"
"Sure," I said.
"OK. When I'm bigger like you, I'll put on your underwear, then your shirt, then your pants. Then I'll wear a jacket--your jacket. I'll drive your car to college with my piggy bank, and I'll be a paleontologist."
She's got it all figured out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Why is it that we adults always have to complicate everything when really, life choices are quite simply resolved? Just ask Clara.
That girl has got to be the smartest ever. I can't believe the stuff she comes up with. Good job writing it all down. She is hilarious.
So, uh... hold on to your underwear.
that is just abt the cutest most hilarious thing ever! i love it! guess what im almost up to blogging again.:)
This girl needs a dinosaur party. I was thinking of planning one for Nick this summer but all I have so far is green straws. Nick doesn't actually care about dinosaurs yet so you can have my green straws if you want.
What a little smarty pants! I always laugh at her cute little stories. Wal-mart has plastic dinosaurs for $1. We need her to come and identify all the ones in our collection!
Cute!
Haha - and I thought Josephine was a fan of dinosaurs - Clara puts her to shame!! It's funny, though, because we got Josephine these little plastic/rubbery dinosaurs for Christmas, and she was identifying them all ("this is a brachiosaurus, this is a teranadon, this is a stichymolluck"(sp?), etc.) and at one point we asked her where one of the dinosaurs lived, thinking she would say "the wild", or "the forest" or something. Nope, she replies "In the Jurassic time period!" Amazing. These kids are so funny. :)
Oh, and although she loves dinosaurs and thinks that Dr. Scott the Paleontologist is just "fantastic" (those are her words exactly), she says that she does NOT want to be a paleontologist someday. She just wants to be a kid - oh, and maybe also a princess who has lots of dinosaurs.
Post a Comment