Saturday, May 15, 2010

In honor of Mother's Day....

...being over, I thought I'd give you a snapshot of my mothering by letting you hear a few actual phrases I have uttered to my children this week:

  • "I don't understand why you keep asking me questions you already know the answer to."
  • "Stop hitting him! What is wrong with you?"
  • "If you use that sassy voice once more time, you may never come out of time out!"
  • In response to Clara's new phrase she uses if she doesn't want to do something ("I'm scared of clothes! I'm scared of getting my hair done! I'm scared of taking my rest!"): "Well, what you should be scared of is ME!"

And my personal favorite:

  • "WHY DO YOU GUYS HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING OF MINE THAT IS NICE??"

So yes, "Mother of the Year" award is probably passing me by this year. And now that I've confessed, I think I will go back to being Patient Mommy. She is lots more fun to have around.

8 comments:

Megan said...

Good ol' Rachey.

I think you're a good mom, if that counts for anything.

Also, one of the women in the musical brought her little 3-year-old daughter to the last couple of rehearsals, and it was all I could do to NOT get in my car and drive up to see you guys.

Why do my sisters insist on living so far?

Emily said...

Oooh, those are some good ones. I think I'll print this post out, it could come in handy...

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Oh, what a relief to see that I am not the only one to say those things, esp. "what is WRONG with you?!" and the bit about them ruining your stuff. I totally get that. I'm a jekkyl and hyde Mommy myself - patient, happy mommy/tired, exasperated mommy - it's a constant power struggle between the two ... :)

MOM/SUSAN said...

Ah, Rachel. When I think of what your lives have been like these past...years, I'm amazed at what a wonderful and fun Mom you are--almost all of the time. Stress does funny things to Moms and you've had your share, so sit down and relax. Take deep breaths, clear your mind and envision the day when your kids will only remember the good stuff. I know it sounds impossible, but trust me, it will happen.

Ericka said...

Wait, have you been listening in to MY conversations with my children? Cause I say the same exact things on a daily basis!

Steph said...

haha. That made me laugh. The things we say to our children. Steve spotted Hewitt peeing on our van yesterday and quickly put him in timeout. Later I overheard him telling Hewitt that he is not allowed to pee on the van or the house. He kept repeating it over and over. I laughed. Wouldn't it have been easier to just say only pee in the toilet? I am just glad no one videotapes what I say to my children. I'm sure I say the most ridiculous things. I like you. And I would definitely vote you for mother of the year.

Tristen said...

I agree... you gave me some good ones. What moms don't say crazy things, especially since we're "on" for sometimes 12 hours a day and the kids are sooooooo exasperating sometimes!! Ken tells me that in 5 years when the kids can't remember these things that he's going to tell them what a sweet and patient and longsuffering mother I was... that my secret is safe with him. Phew!

Meli said...

that is hilarious rachel! i looooove you! i have been totally feeling the same way lately......lol