I am quite overdue in posting this, but I thought I should report that Jeremy finished his PhD. He took a quick trip to Syracuse last month to defend his dissertation, and he passed with distinction. In fact, his committee basically sent him home with nothing to do but submit his final draft to the university, which he did the next week. And now he's done! Five years at BYU, two years at Montana State, and four years at Syracuse University, and Jeremy will never again enter a classroom as a student.
You'll not be surprised to hear that I am really quite proud of him. After two successful years in Syracuse, we came to Idaho for Jeremy to do his dissertation, which (in a very little nutshell) examines the interconnections between small city urban development and environmental amenities. He finished his dissertation in two years, which includes the inevitable time spent adjusting to a new baby in the family. What's more amazing, I think, is that he wrote his entire dissertation--all 330 pages of it--in our bedroom, with just a wall separating him from the craziness of home life with two small, energetic children. Not only was he able to produce quality academic work, but he was also able to be around for every single milestone either of the kids had in the last year. In fact, I'm not sure how they'll cope with not having Jeremy around for three meals a day, knowing he is "making words" in the next room.
And now we're on to the next chapter, starting with a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Minnesota this fall. I just love Jeremy and am constantly amazed by his drive and work ethic. And even though he won't respond to me anymore unless I address him as Dr. B----- (I kid!), I think I'll keep him around. He's a good seed.
Congrats, Grad!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
A wonderful tribute to Jeremy by a wonderfully loving and adoring wife.
Congratulations Dr. Bryson!
I commend Jeremy for doing such a wonderful job. What an accomplishment! Congrats.
And since I, too, studied and "made words" while my spouse helped with the house, kid, etc., I know that accomplishing such a task is not done without help from a loving family. So congratulations to you too, Rachel!
Hip, hip, hooray for Pip! A finished dissertation in two years?! More impressive that leaping tall buildings in one bound.
aw, he was in Syracuse? I never saw him in church - I would have loved to say hello! Oh well - good job Jeremy - lots of hard work, and I'm sure it's paid off. So...onto Minnesota, eh? Next adventure!
He was actually only in Syracuse for two days--not over a weekend, unfortunately!
Yay for Jeremy! That is awesome!
Congratulations! I love it when people do something amazing. I'm so happy for you guys.
Unbelievable that he can have the self control to write and focus while at home. Also, good for you to not bug him all the time. I suppose you get an honorary ph'd for supporting him all the way. So congrats to both of you. Love you guys. Hope to see you soon.
Post a Comment