So I turned thirty last week. 30. Three-zero. I had a great day, other than having to spend four hours teaching my summer writing class. Jeremy made me my favorite breakfast: homemade waffles with cherry pie filling and whipped cream (nothing says "It's my birthday!" like a healthy helping of high-fructose corn syrup, I've always said). After my classes, Jeremy and the kids picked me up from school, then we relaxed at home. I played the part of "birthday diva" very well and spent a pleasant afternoon reading and lounging.
Much to my surprise, Jeremy arranged babysitting so we could go out to dinner. We ate at Azteca, and he even told the server it was my birthday, which actually was a bit humiliating since evidently Azteca is one of those restaurants where like eight people sing to you and then make you wear a ridiculous straw hat. It was a good time, though, and the portobello mushroom and spinach quesadilla was pretty darn tasty.
Even more to my surprise, when we went to pick up the kids at our friends' house, there was a petite surprise party waiting for me. I had no idea! And while you may think it's amazingly thoughtful of Jeremy to organize all of this for me, what's even more amazing is that he did all of this over the phone. That's how I know Jeremy loves me: he's willing to actually pick up a phone, call people, and talk to them--all in my behalf. He's quite a fella.
And there you have it. I've long considered 30 to be the age of true legitimacy as an adult, although now that I'm here I don't feel extra legitimate by any means. But it's good to be 30 with Jeremy, at least until July 4th, when he'll bravely pave the way to 31 for me. Thanks to everyone who bade me a happy day! I very much enjoyed myself.

4 comments:
Now that I'm aware of the post, I am commenting. I loved it. Thanks.
Dad loved it as well, but commenting for Dad is akin to making a phone call. It's a rare thing indeed.
Your Mom's comments are almost as good as your blog. You both make me laugh. Glad you had a nice birthday!!! Hope to see you soon! Love ya.
Glad you had such a great birthday. The Steinbergs are so cute with their birthday party decorations. Amora misses her buddy Jonathan.
First: Happy Birthday!!!
Second: Congrats to Dr. B-- a PhD is such a long road, I can't believe you guys did it!! How exciting!
Third: I would have squealed at the chance for Prairie Home Companion tickets, would have loved to have gone! How fun, I'm so glad that you were able to go!!
Post a Comment