We have had a protracted cold, wet spring, so imagine the great pleasure we took in a Saturday pleasant enough for short sleeves and hours of backyard fun! Jeremy and I ventured outside during the kids' rest time, and when Clara emerged from her room she was thrilled to join us in the yard. She settled into her chair--quite comfortably, as you can see--and said,
"Oh, isn't it nice to sit in the shade on a hot, sunny day?"
Indeed it is, Clara. Indeed it is.
Other than the sunshine, which, frankly, would've been exciting enough on its own, Jeremy and I also scored free tickets to see a live broadcast of "A Prairie Home Companion" in Spokane yesterday. Some friends of ours had won the tickets but couldn't use them, and then they'd evidently tried seven other friends before calling us, but no one wanted them! I'm not sure whether I should be offended that we were their eighth choice, but regardless, we were thrilled. Before the broadcast Garrison Keillor walked through the audience with one of his guests, singing love songs and cracking jokes. At one point, he was close enough to spit on. It was great to see in the flesh someone whose voice we've heard on the radio for a great many years. Plus, they had some really classic jokes about Idaho, and a great sequence that parodied both business people and English majors. I was particularly amazed to learn that when Garrison Keillor is giving the News from Lake Wobegon, he is speaking completely extemporaneously--no notes in sight! It was fascinating to see the workings of a live radio show--especially one with such a storied history. Loved it.
And that's the news from Lake Wobegon, my home town...

5 comments:
Yes indeed. A bit of shade on a hot sunny day. I'm not kidding when I tell you that photos of my grandchildren (and of their parent's, of course) is the best gift ever. Thanks for the gift.
Oh yay! I grew up on Prairie Home Companion - of course I never appreciated it until I started appreciating my parents (post high school). How fun for you guys!
And I love the pictures of your nice, sunny day. Looks heavenly in that backyard.
I LOVE the Prairie Home Companion!! It went to Virginia shortly after we left and I wanted to go. Someday! So fun to see pictures of "mature" Clara. I can't believe the things she says. We feel so close to you now...well, closer anyway. Hope life is good. Love, Laura
Clara sits in that chair like she owns the entire act of lounging. I should take notes.
So fun! You lucky dogs, you. I loved Clara's race and your Mother's Day quotes. I'm smiling right now.
Post a Comment