Jonathan turned TWO last month. What a joyous occasion! He was blissfully unaware of when his birthday was, or even what a birthday was, even though Clara made a point of reminding him about his special day for more than a week.
Jonathan woke up to the traditional birthday “tunnel,” although this year’s was a bit skimpy since I ran out of crepe paper. He didn’t seem to mind. We went downstairs for breakfast and found a room full of balloons, which thrilled Jonathan. We then had “Bug’s favorite birthday breakfast,” as chosen by Clara: Lucky Charms. This was actually a funny story: when I asked Clara what she thought Jonathan wanted for his birthday breakfast, she immediately said, “Oh, his favorite thing is the thing we had on Sam’s birthday. You know. The thing with the little shapes.” It took me a full five minutes of questioning to land on Lucky Charms. I hadn’t even remembered I bought that on Sam’s birthday (confession: it’s my favorite sugar cereal). Leave it to Clara…
After breakfast, we gave Jonathan his first present: a t-shirt with a motorcycle on it. So happy, he was! Then we drove to Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis, which is a great park. We splurged for Jonner and rented a family bike. Jeremy and I huffed and puffed for an hour, much to the pleasure of our children, who nevertheless never seemed to think we were going fast enough up the rolling hills.
When we got home from our bike ride, Jonathan took a luxurious afternoon nap, after which he got his present from us: a sit and spin (courtesy of Goodwill! In times like these, you know…). He was so groggy with sleep that it took him awhile to figure out how to spin, but he seemed to like it pretty well.
Following a dinner of Dad’s Special Cheesy Noodles, Jonathan opened his last gift: an awesome toy motorcycle. I don’t know where this love for motorcycles comes from, but it’s definitely a hot hit. He carries it with him everywhere, including to bed. I find it very pleasant to tote around with me when he’s tired of carrying it with him.
Goodness. Happy Birthday to the sweetest little boy I can imagine. We love you, Buggy!

5 comments:
Holy moly, did I really hop on here mere minutes after you posted this?
What a cute boy! Happy birthday to Jonathan! And might I ask - are Dad's Special Cheesey Noodles just really macaroni & cheese? :)
Okay, maybe it wasn't moments. It was 9:20 my time when I wrote it. I forgot to take into account that you are in a different time zone. Apparently it was HOURS.
EASY RIDER. We were so excited to see PICTURES!
As always, your kids outshine everything else in the photo--sorry, but it's true--although you look lovely in the back of the family bike Rachel. Now that you've done it (posted photos) we are filled with anticipation for more, especially more of Olympic Village and your apartment.
i LOVE these pics. great post.
He looks so big! What fun!
Post a Comment