During the last week of February we celebrated Sam's seventh birthday. Every year I am astounded by how much time has passed, and seven years certainly feels like a long time to be without him in our family. But we still feel strongly that he is a very real part of our family, and we are comforted by our faith in the resurrection and forever families. I know we will see him one day.
It's been very important to me and Jeremy to have Sam's birthday be a happy day, a celebration of our family. I think we've been successful so far, because I'm pretty sure Clara and Jonathan think it's one of the best days of the year. They are happy to each get a little present (even if one of the presents was a doll house we found next to the dumpster a few days before we moved from Saint Paul--as if they're old enough to know or care about stuff like that). And they are equally happy to feast on a special dinner and a rare dessert (this year: funfetti cake with chocolate frosting). They are sweet and wonderful children, and when I look at them I can see Sam. The more they understand about their older brother, the more we can see a love for him deepen in their hearts. I'm grateful for that.

5 comments:
That video is about the cutest thing I've seen - your kids are adorable!
So cute Rachel. I wanted the video to continue through the cake eating, but I suppose that would be too long. It would have been nice to see a messy aftershot though... Hope all is well in Syracuse. Wish we could visit. Love ya.
Very sweet - I think it's a wonderful tradition and a great way to remember him as part of your family
so...that apartment is slightly higher class than your luxury suite here in st. paul was, huh? yaaay for that!
someone had the idea once to have a little birthday dessert every once in a while for a family member who has passed on, and to use that opportunity to teach the kids about that person and reconnect.
i've wanted to do that with my grandmother's birthday--have peaches and cream, her favorite.
i think your family is absolutely beautiful, and it's a beautiful tradition.
Rachel, I am in awe by you! You are an amazing mother. I love to hear your feelings about Sam. I cry everytime I do. You are amazing. Happy Birthday Sam!
Post a Comment