This week is Spring Break for me and Jeremy. This is a good thing, since it's been kind of an exhausting semester so far for both of us. My favorite thing about spring break is that Jeremy has let me sleep in until 8:30 every day. So happy! I'm not sure what Jeremy's favorite thing about spring break is, though I'd guess it has something to do with not preparing a 2 1/2 hour lecture.
Spring break in Syracuse is often something of a misnomer, since spring doesn't really arrive in full force for at least another month. You may recall our spring break trip to "Mexico" a few years ago as evidence that Central New York's weather will not be dictated by academic calendars.
But yesterday....
I almost hesitate to describe the glory and wonder of yesterday's weather, lest my joy should tempt the fates into sending another two feet of snow. But nevertheless, yesterday was truly thrilling after months of snow and dim lighting. The sun shone! The temperatures reached 50!
Jeremy took Clara to preschool then went to the library to grade midterms (see what I mean about not knowing what Jeremy likes about spring break?). Jonathan and I took advantage of the weather by opting for a stroll in the sunshine.
I will say that Jonathan is my most vampire-like child, in that he has grown too used to overcast skies and whimpers pathetically when he sees the sun. So I was not surprised when we left the apartment and he clenched his eyes shut for the first fifty yards of the walk while holding my hand. When he finally deigned to open his eyes, the first thing he said was, "Why are we walking?" I said, "Because it's wonderful to breathe the fresh air!" He thought for a moment then said, "Well, I will take a very big breathe."
We walked up the hill behind our apartment complex to a pleasant neighborhood, and Jonathan was thrilled by the number of large storm drains in the sidewalk. We stopped at every one and crouched down to watch the snow melt into the grate.
By the time we turned around, Jonathan was pretty tired, so I carried him home on my shoulders. But I rode the high of that walk for the rest of the day. Perhaps spring really is on the way...

2 comments:
It is! Spring is on its way. Thank you so much for the photos. I honestly do live for them.
we had the same experience here on saturday! but right now it's raining, near freezing, and 30 mph winds. hmph.
spring will come sometime, though, i'm sure of it! it's like rainbows, or the sun coming back after every nighttime: it's a PROMISE! ...right?...
(;
Post a Comment