Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!


We very much enjoyed our Easter weekend as a family. We love watching the kids through all of their excitement, fun, and learning, even though both Jeremy and I think holidays are a lot harder now than they used to be. Just this morning I said to Jeremy: "When I was younger, I just remember holidays being fun and relaxing. I guess that's because my parents were doing all the work."

I guess so.

But really, the work is worth it to see our little charmers full of life and fun. They were both quite excited about the impending visit from the Easter Bunny. Clara fell asleep right away, as she is wont to do, but Jonathan was just too full of anticipation to fall asleep easily. At one point he came out and said, all nervous-like, "Where's Clara?" We went in and found Clara hidden in her bed. She was lying on her back and had the covers tucked up to her chin, and she had put her pillow so it was almost entirely covering her face. I told Jonathan she was there, readjusted her so she was on top of her pillow, and left.


This morning, we asked her why she fell asleep like that. Her response? "I was trying to look like a bed so the Easter Bunny wouldn't see me and she'd be surprised." That's right: she was trying to pull a fast one on the Easter Bunny. Clever Clara.


The EB was pretty light on the candy this year, since one of our children (I won't say who it is, but it isn't Clara) is an absolute fiend for candy. Seriously. He's like an unstoppable rebel force out to conquer all the candy in the universe. Or, perhaps more accurately, he's like one of those truffle-sniffing pigs who can find truffles hidden anywhere in the dank of the forest. The boy can find candy, and then he will eat it all, so we thought we might as well limit his options. Neither of them seemed to think the offerings were light, though, so all said it was a good time.


We also truly enjoyed our time at church today. Both of the kids had meaningful lessons on the Resurrection of Christ in their little classes, and Jeremy and I were able to teach an Easter lesson to our Gospel Principles Sunday School class. We were both touched deeply by the Holy Spirit both as we prepared the lesson and as we shared it with the class. I'm grateful for this special day where we can take time to reflect on the miracle of Christ's life, death, Atonement and Resurrection. I know the Savior lives, and that he loves us. Everything I have in my life that has brought me goodness, peace, and joy stems from my faith in Christ. I'm grateful for that knowledge.

In addition to these realizations and memorable moments, I will say that we also very much enjoyed this year's Easter dinner. Jeremy and I worked hard to make a ham steak (buying a whole ham seemed silly for our little family, particularly since we only ate about a third of the ham steak), monkey bread, deviled eggs, asparagus, fluffy strawberry salad, and creamed new potatoes and peas. Hard work makes food tastes even better, I think, and we enjoyed sitting down to the fruits of our labors. Clara was also gratifyingly hungry and appreciative. Jonathan was also there. I think he was full of candy.




And I will admit that one of my favorite things about the day was wearing matching Easter dresses with Clara. I matched us last year for Mother's Day and this year for Easter, and I figure I'll keep having us be twins once a year until she thinks I'm too dorky. I might only have one more year left! I am pretty dorky--something that will no doubt be easily discernible by our discriminating girl!



Also, you may notice that I look a bit, well, large-ish in these pictures. Though this may be a surprise to some of my dedicated readers, we are having another baby in September! We have a lot to celebrate these days...


Happy Easter!

18 comments:

Emily said...

Well... CONGRATULATIONS! And what a yummy Easter dnner! The EB was skimpy on the candy at our house this year, too. I think Megan counted only 18 jelly beans. It's so annoying once they learn to count...

And again, CONGRATULATIONS! I like September babies, except they just miss the school cut-off, which could be good or bad, depending on what kind of child you get. Knowing you two, it could be very, very bad.

Ellen Feus said...

Wow! Glad I decided to peek at your blog today and see the big news! Congrats!!!
Love,
Ellen

Robyn DeGaetano said...

I love the pregnancy pic - you look beautiful! And did you make those matching dresses? I meant to tell you yesterday how cute I thought they were, and I think it was so sweet that you guys were matching! And yes, I would milk that until she doesn't want to anymore!

MOM/SUSAN said...

You know how to make me happy. I love every single photo and loved talking to your children this morning. An absolutely perfect way to start my day.

Steph said...

Congratulations!!!! That is very good news. Love the dresses and I can't imagine Clara thinking it was dorky for quite sometime. She seems to be quite the leader. I wouldn't be surprised if you were wearing matching dresses until you are old. Hope you are ready to be sewing dresses for many years to come. Actually, if this is girl number two than this tradition might be harder as you get older. You are going to have to start sewing at Christmas. You make me smile. Love you.

Tristen said...

This is awesome!! I'm so happy for you guys, congratulations!! And I love love love the dresses, did you make those? I love it! That's true, your sewing is going to grow and grow if this baby ends up being a girl... soon enough you will be making bow ties for the boys, dresses for the girls and the holidays are going to start being quite a big deal! Congrats again, your family is so sweet!!

Katie said...

SOOO cute! I love the first picture of your whole family - it makes me laugh to see Clara and Jonathan with their heads cocked to one side - my kids always do that when they want to look adorable.

You look great! I hope you are feeling better too!

Taunya said...

You look beautiful and I love the matching dresses. Congratulations again on expecting another little one. So exciting!

Elder Richey said...

Hooray for a new baby!!

Eight is Enough said...

Congrats on the new little one. The matching dresses look great and make me wish that I was still up for that. I used to make matching dresses for all the girls but when Evie came (6th child, 4th girl) the idea of making 5 dresses was a bit overwhelming and I was still overwhelmed the next year when it was time to start again so that tradition died a sad death. Maybe it will be brought back now that 2 of my girls are getting old enough to help. Congratulations again.

Rachel said...

Full disclosure: For every mom out there who is feeling wistful or inadequate for not making matching dresses: I got these courtesy of the Target clearance rack. I will own up to shortening Clara's and sewing womanly darts into the bodice of mine, but other than that all creative labor was done by underpaid workers in a factory somewhere. I do like to sew, and one day I might consider sewing us some dresses, but this was not that day. Thank you, Target!

Emily said...

Very cute! And such happy news too! Congratulations!!! <3

KS said...

Yaaaaaaay! So happy for you guys!

Wendy Loumeau said...

Congrats Bryson family! Another beautiful baby in your cute little family. You look beautiful!

Tim and Cindy Larsen said...

Cute..... I think the smiles on your kids are myfavorite thing! They are too adorable! and how excited to be adding a fourth! That's so great!

Cormorant said...

Yes, yes, congrats! How exciting! Hope you're feeling good so far--I'm guessing the worst is over now.

And Ava has the same dress from Target! I LOVE it. I even tried on the dress too, but it was much to short for me--I looked like I was wearing a child's dress. But you look AWESOME in yours! Those darts are a great idea.

Tandy said...

womanly darts, huh! lol! you make me laugh! SOOOOO excited for you. and you look fabulous.

The Tolboe family said...

You look great! Isn't it fun being pregnant. We are expecting end of October. How fun. What a cute idea having you and clara dress alike for Easter. I will probably have to steal your idea if we have a girl!