Actually, in all fairness to the august Kool-Aid Man, the real culprit in this tale is Crystal Light. Or, to be more accurate, the Wal-mart version of Crystal Light. Or, to be more accurate still (the devil is in the details), the real culprit is the sinister Red 40:
(I'll admit it doesn't really look that sinister as a chemical formula. It looked much worse on the carpet, but I was too upset to take a picture.)
Here's how it all went down:
On Thursday night, after the kids were in bed, Jeremy poured himself a cup of very red Crystal Light and set it on the coffee table in our living room. He proceeded to not drink the Crystal Light for over an hour. At about 10:00, after ordering Jonathan some birthday presents online, I put my laptop onto the coffee table, which in turn spilled the full cup of Crystal Light on the floor.
So, so horrible.
After some internet research (seriously, how did anyone do anything before the internet?) I stayed up until 2:30 in the morning steaming the stain out of the carpet. The next day--and I swear I am not making this up--I spent another four hours doing the same thing. Today I wrapped things up (which is code for "gave up") in another hour. So, all told, I spent nine and a half HOURS of my life getting rid of that stain.
Good news, though: the stain is almost entirely gone, just a bit of very pale pink to annoy me for the rest of my days (fortunately, the stain is unobtrusively located in the middle of the living room; what a relief).
The less good news is that Jeremy and I cannot agree on who is to blame in this sordid ordeal. Please help me out by passing judgment (on Jeremy). I will not be offended if you think it's my fault (other than that it's so very clearly Jeremy's fault). Really, tell me: who's to blame?

7 comments:
so did you use any product to get that "crystal lite" out or did you just steam it? nora was kind enough to shmear desitin all over a friend's chair the other day and i was all over the internet trying to figure out what to do! though, i think a desitin stain and a red 40 stain are two different animals. way to conquer the beast! crummy theft of 9 hours, though!
oh! and here's my all-wise judgement: I believe the culprit to be both the crystal lite manufacturer and the carpet company. those red 40 molecules should be encapsulated in some sort of stain preventative stuff. i'm sure the company could tell you the number of stains their product creates each year. and yet they do nothing about it. sue 'em, rachel. sue their pants off.
and the carpet should have been more proactive about this too. it didn't even DODGE!
I need more information.
Who purchased the Crystal Light?
Who chose the flavor? Have there been reference to flavor preferences in the past by any member of your family?
Where was Jeremy at the time of the incident?
Ha ha, i vote Jeremy's fault because I always vote in the favor of the pregnant lady. But should this same thing have happened a year ago when you weren't pregnant I would say it's borderline. :)
But seriously, so better that it was you than the kids. I hate it when I drop a full jar of pickles in the middle of the kitchen and it shatters all over me and the entire kitchen (wet and glassy) but it's SO much better than being mad at the kids for doing it. :)
Oh! I am so sorry for the 9 hours of carpet cleaning. No fun but it sure made for a good story. You are so funny! As to who is to blame...hum...I have to say that you are totally innocent.
Uh - red or orange koolaid-type drinks are impossible to get out!! So sorry. And as for who's to blame? I'm stayin' outta that one. ;)
Post a Comment