I am feeling very tenderly toward our youngest child today. Not only is it his third birthday, and not only is he a sweet and wonderful boy, but I am keenly aware that he'll be my "baby" for only a few days more.
What to say about Jonathan? He is truly one of the sweetest, most mellow, easy to please, fun to be around boys I've ever met. He has big, beautiful eyes, the best little Charlie Brown head, and a seriously infectious smile. He loves his family, and he borderline worships his sister. He is truly charming.
Jonathan has lots of interests lately, but the two most notable are riding his scooter and tricycle and anything to do with superheroes. I'm not sure where the superhero thing came from, but it has more or less replaced his previous passion with motorcycles (though a superhero on a motorcycle is a guaranteed hot hit).
He still loves the tiny, scruffy monkey I "rescued" from the Syracuse church nursery when Clara was a baby. He has been potty trained for about six months, and he enjoys Backyardigans, especially (you might have guessed) a certain episode he calls "Bubble Boy" where the Backyardigans pretend to be superheroes.
Speaking (again) of superheroes, Jonathan is not void of superpowers himself. His four strongest powers (other than super sweetness) are as follows:
1. Super speed. The boy runs everywhere, usually with arms pointing straight down and looking straight at the ground.
2. Super touch-of-invisibility. Jeremy and I are convinced that no one on earth can lose things more efficiently than Jonathan. We will see him with the object in question, and then five minutes later it seems to literally have disappeared from the face of the earth. Jeremy and I have spent many a frustrated evening stomping around the house trying to find that evening's must-have bedtime item. It really is a remarkable superpower.
3. Super spilling: I swear that boy can spill on clothes he's never even worn. It's incredible.
4. Super style: Jonathan has a keen eye for which clothes are "awesome" and which clothes are "not awesome." This poses a problem because, as it turns out, nearly all of his clothes are "not awesome." Sometimes it's tricky to get him dressed in the morning.
Finally, to mark this momentous occasion I sat down and "interviewed" Jonathan about some of his most favorite things. I think it's an interesting snapshot of Jonathan at age three. He's a great kid:
Favorite food: cauliflower (that's what he said, and he did request homemade pizza and cauliflower for his birthday dinner, so it could be true)
Favorite dessert: chocolate cupcakes
Favorite 'special' (one of those can't-sleep-without things): monkey
Favorite toy: truck
Favorite song: "Belagu" (a Malaysian primary song)
Favorite song to dance to: Toss up between Beyonce's "Halo" and Katy Perry's "Firework"
Favorite book: Flying High, a riveting tale about the DC Superfriends
Favorite thing to do with Mommy: read books
Favorite thing to do with Daddy: jump high off beanbags
Favorite thing to do with Clara: play with garbage trucks when we get some
Favorite thing to do during the day: make up jokes for Clara
Best thing about being Jonathan: being Spider-man
Favorite color: blue
What he wants to be when he grows up: This got three responses: a dumb neighbor (???), The Flash, and Clara
Happy Birthday, Sweetest Boy! We love you!

3 comments:
Your kids listen to Beyonce and Katy Perry? Really? I was shocked by that one, not because it's bad - my girls listen to all that stuff in the car with me, too - they love the Black Eyed Peas and some of Lady Gaga's songs - I'm just surprised because you don't strike me as a Beyonce and Katy Perry listener. I learned something new about you AND Jonathan today - nice. ;)
That's funny, Robyn. :) I guess I wouldn't call myself a Beyonce and Katy Perry listener, per se, but I do like select songs from lots of different singers. Jeremy and I are a lot more hip than people give us credit for. Ha!
You're right Rachel, Jonathan does look older and longer and big-footed.
I can hardly wait to seen all of you in just two days!
Post a Comment