I can think of three times in my life when I have been creeped out by my own home. Case #1 was when we once picked up some bed bug stowaways at a (nice) hotel and had to endure extermination procedures followed by months of picking up every conceivable piece of fuzz in the house and examining it with a strong light and a magnifying glass. (True story. There are more details, but I'll spare you. And in Jeremy's defense, I should add that he was not the one picking up pieces of fuzz, but you probably could've guessed that on your own.)
Case #2 was when we first moved to Missouri and started finding smallish beetle-ish bugs in our house. I don't know exactly what they are, other than that they live in the grass but also enjoy venturing into more civilized territory from time to time. They really bothered me at first, but we don't find many of them and they're really not that bad, all things considered.
Case #3 is what we're dealing with at present: the robustly-sized, fuzzy-wuzzy wolf spider. I thought about posting a picture, but then I realized that I might never open my blog again if I had to face seeing a hairy-scary close-up of a nasty spider every time I did. Gross. But it's also a bit gross wondering whether I might see one every time I turn the corner.
We're working on a few things to mitigate our little blossoming problem, like sticky traps, but I seriously do not like those spiders. And they're poisonous! Websites like to point out that they're not aggressive and won't bite unless provoked. But why, then, call them "wolf" spiders? Wolves are predatory and often aggressive. They are hunters. If I were naming a poisonous but shy spider, I would've chosen a more innocuous name. Like maybe "pantywaist spider" or just simply "the wuss."
But I was not around when spider names were being doled out, so until something changes, we'll just be listening closely for the cry of the wolf.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ah. Your last two posts are like a balm to me.
You're back and it's great!
So sorry about the Wolf Spiders, truly I am. They are really creepy, but I'm confident that they won't hang around very long.
NAAAAASTY! I'm totally grossed out for you, although we do have black widow spiders at our house. They freak me out to pieces too... Gross. Thanks for sharing, I agree with you about the naming ridiculousness.
"pantywaist spider"--i laughed so hard! rachel, you are funny!
had several bug problems at this house i house-sitted over the summer. one of those problems was wolf spiders. HORRIBLE.
Hey Rachel, Sounds like you are finally settling in somewhere. Good for you! Congrats on your new little angel too! As for the wolf spiders, that stinks. My sister has them really bad in TN, and they really freak her out. So she called an exterminator and wala...it has been a huge success. Now she just finds dead ones all over the outside of her house, which is much better than the live ones inside. I was staying with her for a month and have never seen a live one, but yes on her patio and front porch are too many dead ones to count. Good luck with that, hope you can get rid of them so you can rest at night. Lol, enjoyed reading your blog btw, you are truly a gifted writer.
Post a Comment