Those of you who know me well know how much I love the fall. I take after my mom in this way (Jeremy likes to tease us for our love of "The Harvest"). While August 16 is perhaps a bit early still to think about autumn, Clara and I nevertheless decided to hitch our hopes to the nearest wagon and drive out to apple country to see what we could see. We were not disappointed! Although the trees are as lush and green as ever, the apples are starting to ripen! We picked up our first peck of the season: five pounds of Paula Reds, fresh from the trees behind the farm stand. Oh, how I love the taste of a freshly picked apple. If I could wax poetic, I would. Speaking of wax, did you know there is NO WAX on a freshly picked apple? Just dirt and deliciousness--just how God intended.
I should stop before I get carried away.
As if the day wasn't magical enough with the apples, my second surprise of the day was when Jeremy came home with a pristine copy of Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking, which I have long wanted to read and which was waiting, full of kismet, next to the recycling bins near our apartment. This day was meant for me! Has there ever been a happier girl?
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
What a glorious day! I've never eaten an apple picked fresh from the tree. Your thoughts remind me of one of my favorite poems, "Peaches." Check it out - I think I'll post it on my blog.
Sorry, the poem is actually called "From Blossoms."
Katie--How funny you should bring up "From Blossoms," since I just read it for the first time the other day! My mom sent it to me as a happy thought, and I loved it.
I am so anxious for Autumn that I can hardly stand it! This will be our first Autumn in over four years and I am greatly looking forward to it! I'm glad that you had such a nice day. Your words put me in the mood for some fresh fruit.
Rachel,
I'm glad you left me the message on my blog, because I forgot that in blogging, it is important to check other people's blogs for messages. What a crazy, crazy coincidence about the poem - especially because from my experience, it isn't a common poem. What a connection!
Post a Comment