Tuesday, August 19, 2008

100,000


Sunday marked a momentous occasion in our home: we hit our 100,000th mile in our Volkswagen Golf. When Jeremy drove this car off the lot in December 2000, the odometer boasted a mere 37 miles. We got married just over a year later in California, which marked the Golf's first real road trip. Since then Jeremy and I have ridden in that little silver wondermobile through California, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Arizona, Nevada, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Indiana, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, and Idaho.

Yes, you read that right: the Golf has been in 34 of these United States.

And that is why, on our Sunday evening drive, the odometer read this:


Jeremy, who has always taken prodigious care of the car, deserved to have his picture taken on the spot where this literal milestone occurred. We've seen a lot of beauty in the Golf, and it seems fitting that we hit this mark in front of such a stunning backdrop.


And here is Clara:


And here is the odometer as a palindrome:


Here's to the next 100,000 miles...

6 comments:

Christie C said...

I would totally take a picture of the odometer, too! You've inspired me, although we have a long way to go to hit 100,000 miles...

Rebekah said...

part of me wishes this would have happened on some busy california freeway...

clara looks so happy, as if she grasps the importance of the occasion. she is smarter than the average bear.

Flansburgh Family said...

I love that you guys took a picture! I would've done the same thing. Congrats!

Emily said...

Brian is so jealous; he didn't take a picture and has always regretted it. I wish we lived closer to you guys; every time I read your blog I think "wow they are just like us!" (But way smarter)

Mom said...

That last pic of Clara is soooo cute! You guys are so much fun! And wow! What a place to capture your golf's monumental moment! The back drop was gorgeous!

Chris said...

Happy 100k!