You may recall a recent post where I solicited ideas for inexpensive stay-at-home dates. Several of you responded with extremely clever ideas that rivaled the original list of "inspiration."
I am happy to report that our first effort at super fun and creative at-home dating was an immense success. Not long after writing my original post, I heard a song on the radio that prompted me to suggest a fun-filled evening of putting together a mix tape to celebrate our love. (My friend Emily later suggested this in her own list, so clearly it's a great idea.)
Jeremy was totally on board with the project, so last Friday after Clara went to sleep (at-home dates are way easier when your daughter goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:00) we took our laptops to the backyard and spent a fun-filled hour looking up songs on the internet. The ground rules were that we could only purchase half of the total songs from Amazon, and the rest had to come from our own collection. And of course each of the songs had to be super poignant and meaningful. (OK, that last rule wasn't really a rule, as you'll see from the final songlist.)
So, for a mere $5.98, Jeremy and I were able to create the Best Mix Tape Ever, which we now listen to religiously. Each of the songs has meaning to us, even if the selections may not make sense to an outside observer. And Jeremy has to get credit for having way more songs to suggest than I did, all with the reason: "Whenever I hear this song, I always think of you and feel really tenderly towards you." I had no idea!
I'm sure you'll agree that this list of songs makes for a great and memorable album of devotion:
1. Annie Lennox--"No More I Love Yous"
2. Eric Clapton--"Wonderful Tonight"
3. James Taylor--"Something in the Way She Moves"
4. Fugees--"Ready or Not"
5. 10,000 Maniacs--"These Are Days"
6. U2--"All I Want Is You"
7. Alphaville--"Forever Young" (Classic!)
8. Sarah Maclachlan--"Angel"
9. Alicia Keys--"No One"
10. Toto--"Africa" (This video is a must see on YouTube)
11. Tracy Chapman--"Fast Car"
12. Neil Diamond--"Sweet Caroline"
13. Natalie Cole--"This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)"
14. Jason Mraz--"I'm Yours"
15. Freddy Cole--"Merry-Go-Round"
16. Julie Hill and Hazel Sally--"The Way You Love Me"
All said, this was a grand way to spend an evening. We laughed a ton, had lots of tender feelings, and got frustrated with each other when trying to figure out the logistics of downloading/uploading/burning. A classic date. Actually, Jeremy went so far as to proclaim it "The Best Date We've Ever Had." And that's saying something, since we finished the CD on our 6.5 year anniversary. Our love just continues to blossom as a rose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oooh, how much would you charge for a copy of that mix? The Ultimate Bryson Love Song Collection; you could make your first million!
Okay, I'm going to have to smack you any minute. Seriously. I will fly over there and do it if I have to! "Feel more tenderly towards you"?! Are you kidding me?! Where did you find this guy?!! Did you two drop right out of a romance movie?! Now, since you can't sense my tone through typeface, let me clarify - this is PURE ENVY speaking! That sounds like such a sweet date - and you two are absolutely adorable together. You're lucky to be married to such a romantic!
Oh, and by the way - great mix (although I am quite curious as to how "Ready or Not" by the Fugees fits in...), and happy 6.5 anniversary!
Oh and by the way, I am very hurt and offended that you made no comment on my beautiful food photography that I showcased in one of my recent blogs. I may even sqeeze out a tear if I try hard enough...
Oh Rachel - you and Jeremy crack me up! I do hope you sensed the sarcasm in my comments about my being "hurt and offended"! Seriously, though - I totally had you in mind when I posted those pictures - everytime I look at a food blog, I think of you!
Oh, and you don't fool me - I know that you and Jeremy were "hunting" each other... :)
That's pretty sweet! Thanks for sharing! Its wonderful to have a collection of music that has special meaning for the two of you. :)
I love the songs you chose. Also, can you rate the books you've read?! Please put a star by your favorites. Its cool that I can come on here for good recommendations on what to read! ;)
Fun idea.
And I liked reading about the odometer. When Steven's car reached 100,000 he wanted me to take a picture of it for him. I happened to be driving on the freeway at the time, and I think he scolded me later because the spedometer in the picture said 85 mph. Don't tell Grandpa Tew, he already thinks I drive too fast...:)
McKay's words were : BLAHHHH! Mine are: AAAAHHHH! While I was reading your blog, I thought of how your life is going to change after your little boy comes. No more of these fun night I'm afraid. Mac says that Jeremy is ruining the expectations for all husbands!
Can Jeremy come over here and teach Chris a thing or two about romance? J/K, but what a sweet guy. It sounds like a fun date and I can't wait to buy your CD! Let me know when it's on sale. ;) Forever Young was probably my favorite on your list. Love that song! I wish I were creative like this, but I'm not.
Post a Comment