Friday, October 03, 2008

Back to the past

An update, for those who may be interested: I am feeling much better today, 76 hours after the initial loss of faculty. I can now walk quite well, and with almost no pain, and I am also able to pick up Jonathan again. My main issue is now with hinging at the waist, but even that is feeling a bit better. My body is a recovery machine, I guess.

I also did 10 crunches today to start strengthening my core. Jeremy met this news with a frown, saying I need to be careful not to overdo it.

I said, "I only did 10!"

He said, "How many crunches have you done in the past 12 months?"

I said, "Including the 10 I did today?"

You get the idea. So I am still committed to a slow and careful recovery, and tomorrow will probably just do 5 crunches.

When Jeremy and I get stressed we typically try to divorce ourselves from the present by either reminiscing about the past or obsessing about the future. Since I didn't feel much like future-dreaming today, I thought I'd explore what our lives were like one year ago. So here it is. One year ago, we:

-were living in Syracuse;
-had one baby who was just learning to crawl and pull herself to a standing position;
-were enjoying the onset of autumn and many trips to the Beak and Skiff Apple Farm;
-had no idea we'd be living in north Idaho in a year;
-had no idea we'd have another baby in a year;
-had no idea that Rachel would have a broken back in a year.

The more I thought about this time last year, the more idyllic it seemed. Jeremy pointed out that life wasn't totally rosy last September/October, since he was fully entrenched in a stressful bishopric calling and I was teaching two writing classes at the community college and he was finishing up several stressful grant applications and we were just adjusting to Clara's four food allergies... But looking back it just seems so nice. In my mind, we just sat around looking at Clara's cute face and feeling nothing but happy and relaxed. His version of events is probably closer to reality.

8 comments:

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Okay, #1) You BROKE YOUR BACK? WHAT?>!!

#2) (Beware, I am about to lecutre) Why in the heck are you doing crunches at only three weeks post-partum, and post c-section to boot?! I thought you were supposed to wait six weeks before resuming excerise? Now, you know I am ALL about fitness - I am in love withg working out and have been since I was in high school. But even I take it easy after having babies, and mine don't even involve surgery! Give your body a break girl!
#3) It does me good to know that you have such fond memories of Syracuse. I have been really missing my friends lately, and it's good to hear that you haven't forgotten all about dear old Syracuse!

Rachel said...

Oh, Robyn--did you read my last post? I am trying to strengthen my core! Trust me, I am hardly out running or doing any "real" exercise. So yeah--the crunches are about saving my back, not about getting rid of my lovely baby belly. :)

Rachel said...

Plus, I'm four weeks post partum.

Also, of course I miss Syracuse!

Meli said...

i hear ya sister!! im so sad for syracuse esp in the fall

Meli said...

do you like how i didnt even comment about your back. im so selfish! selfish selfish! oh poor rachel. wish i was closer in idaho to help you out. how stinky!

Carly said...

Oh Rachel! I am so sorry about your back. Isn't that the worst. I threw my back out about 1 year ago. I'd been having lower back problems and then when Chris and I were getting rid of our old couch to put in a new one, I insisted that he let me help him haul it to the truck. Well, I try to lift and snap! Just like you said, the horrible pain just shot down both my legs and I was paralyzed. What a horrible feeling! I went to the doctor and got to know ice very well myself. Luckily I didn't have any new babies I needed to hold. I'm so sorry you dealt with that after just having had major surgery! Well, if a girl just 3 weeks post surgery and with a crippled back is doing crunches, what's my excuse? Maybe your postings will toughen me up!

Katie said...

Leave it to the men to bring us back to reality from time to time. As you know, I tend to be quite nostalgic and can really relate to your lament for simpler times . . . its a good thing we tend to remember happy things more than stress.

Rebekah said...

my goal is to do sit-ups once a week. i'm did some last night, so i'm golden until october 19th. suh-weet.