
Yesterday morning I carried Clara to her room to change her diaper. I lowered her to the floor, felt a sharp, intense pain radiate from my lower back through my legs, and found myself paralyzed on my hands and knees. That's right, friends: I threw my back out.
I have had back problems for quite a long time, stemming from a bulged disc and degenerative disc disease, but for several years everything has felt under control. Now I am totally hobbled, barely able to pick up the nine pounds of love that is Jonathan, let alone even attempt to lift the 25-pound ball of energy that is Clara. What gives? The doctor yesterday compared my body to a skyscraper. He said a skyscraper needs four walls of reinforced steel to stand safely and securely. He said that after a pregnancy and a c-section (make that three pregnancies and three c-sections), my body is more like a skyscraper with one steel side and three sides made of cheap plywood. I am more inclined to say three sides of flimsy rubber. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
So there you have it. The doctor is sure my problem is with my bum disc, but since I don't have any neurological symptoms (numbness, tingling, weakness in the legs, etc.) I just have to grin and bear it. I can walk much better today than I could yesterday, but I have pretty intense pain when I stand up, sit down, scooch over, or otherwise move. If I'm not markedly improved by Monday I'll do a round of physical therapy, which is always humbling.
Thanks to the good friends who have been coerced into watching Clara for a few hours this week to give Jeremy time to get some work done. And a big shout-out to Jeremy, who has taken upon himself all household duties, diaper changing, child lifting, and--most importantly--Clara wrangling. He's a good sport. Who needs a day job?
Here's to a speedy recovery! I am doing my duty by icing my back like ice is going out of style. And when I feel better, my doctor suggested doing crunches like crunches are going out of style. I've always wanted washboard abs...

11 comments:
i'm so afraid of back problems. did you ever see that cosby episode where cliff turns over the playpen on top of sandra and elvin's twins so they'd have to stay in one place? think about it...
So sorry to hear you are in pain! I wish I was there to help but in the meantime I am sending you my thoughts for a quick recovery!
No fair, Rachel! Like you don't have enough to deal with. I have had more than my fair share of health issues lately and all I have learned is this; you get by on cheerios and love, a dirty toilet, good friends, and my new motto: this too shall pass.
But I haven't back problems, maybe they don't pass? I figure I am supposed to learn a lesson about being completely helpless, and poor from hospital bills. Perhaps humility...
Oops, rachel. I was in the wrong account. I'm Emily, not Brian. Though I'm sure he would say all the same things, and sympathize with Jeremy on doing all the housework.
Oh Rachel, I am so sorry. I hope you have a quick recovery.
As usual--dealing with what life brings along with grace and wit.
You never cease to amaze and inspire and I love you for that.
Ahh! That is awful! Esp. since Jonathan is only 3 weeks old! I hope you feel better . . . and thanks for the reminder to do some sit-ups.
I'm so sorry to hear about that! Bill was just told yesterday that he has DDD too, as well as arthritis. He has had severe back pain for the last 10 yrs, but stupid military doctors never did an MRI. On well, like you said, there is not much you can do. Hang in there. I don't know how it feels, but I know what it's like to be married to someone who deals with it all through their 20's and into their 30's. It has been very frustrating for him to feel like an old man falling apart when he is so young. I just keep telling myself there could be worse things, at least he is still alive and can be happy, right? I do the same thing for Bill, I hardly let him lift anything around here, unless absolutely nessessary. :) Hang in there!!! and speedy recovery!!!
Oh dear, this is terrible news. I wish I could help you. I have no idea how you are taking care of your sweet babies. I hope you feel better soon.
I hope you recover soon!
Okay, now I get the broken back comment, and wow, that is scary. That same thing happened to my Dad when I was a baby - he was bending over to get me out of my crib and wammo! He threw his back out and was in bed for days. That is so sucky, and I hope that your recover soon!
Still, I stick to my guns about not rushing into the pursuit of washboard abs. You need to give your poor belly more time to rebound from being, oh, I don't know...CUT OPEN!!!
Post a Comment