Monday, October 13, 2008

Stimulating lunchtime conversation

I am doing a quick email check here at the kitchen table while Clara eats her gardenburger for lunch. We are having a great conversation. It's going something like this:

Clara: "Daddy's a man."

Mom: "Yes, Daddy's a man."

"Mommy's a woman."

"Yes, Mommy's a woman."

"Daddy's a woman?"

"No, Daddy's a man."

"Daddy's a man."

"Yes, Daddy's a man."

"Mommy's a lady."

"Yes, Mommy's a lady."

"Mommy's a man?"

"No, Mommy's a woman."

"Mommy's a woman."

That's the truncated version, but I hope you can get a good sense of how well I'm doing at teaching Clara the art of conversation.

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

a budding logician.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Ha ha! I love having conversations with two-year-olds! They are entertaining in the very least...

Flansburgh Family said...

Sounds like so many conversations I have with Ty, too! They're so funny.

Megan said...

Well done. I'm so excited to share in such riveting dinnertime conversation! Even now I'm preparing small yet perhaps mildly embarrassing anecdotes or sound bites for her to pass on at nursery. It's good to be an Aunt.

Ericka said...

I love those conversations. The ones I have a hard time with are the ones where Jackson says "what?" after EVERYTHING I say so I end up repeating myself 19 times...or when he asks "why?" after everything and I find myself explaining things I never thought I would be explaining....they keep us on our toes!!

Tyler said...

joseph and i used to have theose conversations all the time. i looove them! theyre hilarious. river now just points to everyone walking by and has to tell me if they are a man or a lady. hilarious!

Unknown said...

I love that! I had a simillar conversation with Bryan once. Bryan would say, "Daddy's a boy, (yes) Bryan's a boy, (yes) Gramma is a girl (yes) Mommy is a WWOOMMAANN! I wish you could hear the inflection it was hillarious!!

Autumn said...

So cute. Our similar conversation with Michael had to do with an Adam's apple that Mommy was missing. Michael has an apple? yes, Daddy has an apple? yes, Mommy has no apples! I was never so proud.
I'm glad your back is on the mend. Hopefully you can bend at all hinges by now.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of long ago conversations with Wyatt(well not that long he is only ten). It doesn't change the topics just get even more interesting.