Saturday, December 20, 2008

The eye of the storm


I'm inclined to think that if the weather weren't so crazy all over the country--snow in Las Vegas and New Orleans??--then you would have already heard about our very literal storm of a lifetime. But since the wild weather of the Inland Northwest was trumped by other storms in more metropolitan areas, I am taking it upon myself to give you the rundown of our week.

Between Wednesday afternoon and Friday morning we had 37.5 inches of snow. I have seen three feet of snow before, but I have never seen it come all at once in the same storm over such a short period of time. Apparently no one else has either--at least in this neck of the woods--since this storm broke every snowfall record in the region. By Thursday morning we were completely snowed in, although Jeremy very diligently kept our walkway and driveway plowed--he shoveled five times during the storm.


Clara loved getting all bundled up and going out to play in the snow. She took her snow shovel (a big black spoon) and helped Jeremy, then she went sledding on a cookie sheet down the driveway. The only thing she didn't like is when she tried to wade across the street through two feet of snow to find the neighbors light-up nativity scene. She fell face-first into the snow and got herself a nice snowburn across her nose and under her eyes for her efforts.



The plows finally rolled through yesterday morning, and I took my life into my hands by venturing to the grocery store along with what must have been the entire population of the county, all moving very slowly on plowed but dangerous roads. But now we have milk to last us through the next storm (six to 10 inches predicted tomorrow and Monday!) and we're grateful that Jeremy works from home so he doesn't have to venture out in the foul weather. The only downside to this series of storms is that the snowplow deposited a 10-foot (I kid you not!) mountain of snow in our front yard as it came around the bend. Oh well. Clara will be sledding until June at this rate on our very own mini-mountain.

:::Jeremy and Clara play in what Jeremy has since dubbed the "chump change snow" on Wednesday evening:::


:::"Just a man and his snow shovel," as Jeremy has been fond of saying recently. Also, he likes to call those his "snow khakis":::


:::Clara and me in our driveway. That's the street behind us, which may explain why we didn't venture out:::


:::The aftermath--Saturday morning:::

6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh dear. I must say I've been jealous of where you live until I saw these pictures. Now I think I like my whimpy 4-inch drifts.

Emily said...

So I guess I meant "wimpy". I don't know where that 'h' came from.

Steph said...

Holy cow. And I thought Detroit was bad. At least you will get out of church tomorrow guilt free:) Just kidding Rachel. You should walk to church. That would be really holy of you.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Wow. I'm impressed! That is a LOT of snow - but what the heck is up with your street? Where are the plows? Seriously, though, it is crazy to have that much snow in the street!! I'm glad that you guys are out enjoying it, though!

Rebekah said...

little clara walking in her snow suit is the cutest thing i have ever seen on this blog.

The Tolboe family said...

That is unbelievable. CRAZY! That looks like more than Syracuse ever got. I don't wish I was there!