Some cowgirls are made; others are born. Much to our surprise, Clara is something of a born cowgirl. We already knew how much she loved horses, since we have some friendly neighborhood equines we like to visit when we go on walks. But Jeremy and I were both pretty sure she would not get close enough to even touch a horse, let alone to ride one. This is partly based on the fact that we ourselves have an extremely healthy respect (read: fear) of getting close to a horse, and it's also based on the fact that Clara is terrified of other scary animals, like poodles and worms.
But Clara has always been full of surprises, and when the horseback riding segment of her little friend's birthday party arrived yesterday, she was the most eager and fearless horsewoman we've ever seen. She took several turns around the corral on Shadow, talking to everyone she passed saying, "Look at me! I'm doing it! I'm doing it!" When her turn on Shadow was done, she immediately demanded, "I need to ride that Princess horse!" So when all the other kids had finished their turns, Clara got a second ride on Princess. Only one thing could've made the event perfect for her: if she could do it all by herself. She kept telling Jeremy that she wanted everyone to let go of the horse and let her ride: "I can ride with no rope to go faster and faster and faster!" Several of the adults suggested that we buy her a horse and give her riding lessons. We'll wait for her to conquer her fear of poodles first.

9 comments:
Tyler LOVES horses too! We got a season pass to Thanksgiving Point this year and it has been so much fun. Tyler will pick the Barn over the Dinosaur Museum any day! He LOVES riding the horses. Clara is getting so big! I can't believe how much I miss her! So cute!
Look at that look on her face! she seriously does look like a natural. This might be my favorite picture of clara, ever!! Giddyup!
she is way too cute!! i cant believe you are so brave to let her on one so far away from you. we've done it in ut a few times on ponies and pretty small/big horses, but that was so far away on a huge horse! go rachel and clara!
Melinda--
I'm not too brave. There was someone walking next to her with their hand on her the whole time, and someone else was leading the horse. I just figured she was safer with them on a horse than she would be with me! :)
I think Clara and Hannah both should have been born on a farm!
Oh my gosh, she looks so old in these pictures!! And wow, that looks like she is having so much fun. I wonder who is having more fun, though - Clara, riding the horse, or you, watching her pure delight? :)
oh okay, in that case, im not a crazy mother who is frantic abt everything.ha!
Look at that face! She is truly adorable!. She is getting so big. What a fun time in a young girl's life.
I love, love her smile. What a moment! Like others have mentioned, she looks so grown up.
Post a Comment