Friday, June 05, 2009

Flour Power

In times like these, I think it's best to stick it to The Man as much as possible. One of the ways we do this in our family is to make our own bread. Once every week or week and a half I bake three loaves of my mom's bread, which is seriously the most delicious whole wheat bread I have ever had. And periodically I even do something really brave, like make my own bagels. (That particular whim blossomed after I felt like eating bagels then noticed that a package of five bagels costs like $2.00. As if. I could totally make like 12 bagels for literally just pennies! Note: it's time consuming but yummy. And if you have a two-year-old she will be pretty torqued that you have to broil them then boil them then bake them before eating. Just give her a dang bagel already!)

At any rate, the whole bread making process starts out by running several pounds of wheat through my wheat grinder while Clara and Jonathan hide in Clara's room ("It's too loud for ME, Mommy!"). Then I (with the able help of my petite sous-chef) put everything in my Bosch mixer and let the machine do all the work. When the dough is kneaded, Clara nips little tastes while I push the dough into three pans to rise. (More than once our finished bread has had two little finger marks in it from a secret pinch during the rising time. Why does she like to eat dough??) When all is said and done, we are sitting down to thick slices of delicious bread in an hour and a half, start to finish.

Sometimes, though, I have more to contend with than a loaf pincher. If you have ever seen a Bosch during its kneading cycle, you'll know that it tends to rock and roll a bit while it does the good work of saving my biceps from 20 minutes of forced labor. And I learned that while said rocking and rolling is going on you should not leave an open container of freshly ground flour on the edge of the counter while your baby is playing on the floor. If you do, you might end up with a little bit of this:


And a little bit of that:


Oh well. My only consolation--aside from that happy (if goopy) face--was that at least I'd already made the dough! I guess this is what I get for looking at my bread making as sticking it to The Man rather than just feeding my family. Can't it be both?

10 comments:

Megan said...

Well that face looks good enough to eat. Even without the flour!

MOM/SUSAN said...

What a great mom you are to provide your little ones with such unexpected yet joyous pleasure!

Emily said...

At least Jonathan got his daily fiber!

I need to get a mixer. I like to think I'm saving myself the gym membership by kneading my own dough... but mostly all I get is a stiff neck.

Is your mom's bread recipe secret or could you please send it to me? Mine is okay but certainly not the most delicious I've ever had.

Steph said...

Jonathan is so darn cute. You need to sprinkle some wheat on the ground every time. He's so happy. And I am seriously impressed that you make wheat bread, grinder and all. That is why I like you so much. Superwoman. Too bad you didn't learn that bread baking thing though when we were in college. I definitely am craving piece.

Anonymous said...

I think I should come over next time you bake and take a lesson. It sounds sooo good!!

Eight is Enough said...

Hey I want your bread recipe too. I am always looking for good wheat bread recipes and have not yet found one so perfect that I stop looking. Maybe yours will be the one. I think I have a picture of just about all of my kids looking like Jonathan. Does this mean I bake a lot or that I leave my ingredients out too much?

Autumn said...

Way to go on the bread making-you are amazing. The pics are too cute.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Oooo, can I have the recipe? Please, please, please, please?! :)

Unknown said...

They make for priceless pictures and memories! I once covered my little brother with Desitn and my family still jokes about it! I would love your recipe too! Sure sounds yummy!

Katie said...

Add me to the list of people who want the recipe! Yum!