I had an interesting experience this afternoon. Clara and Jonathan were napping, and I was out pulling weeds (oh, weeds!) and straightening the garage. I don't know if we're alone in this, but somehow we have seven wheeled vehicles (child bikes and strollers) to wheel around our two very small children. Yes, that's right: we have two strollers to every child, and each of our kids can lay claim to one-point-five bicycles (although two of them are loaners and one of them we bought for a quarter at a garage sale, but still. And Jonathan doesn't do much bike riding. Neither does Clara for that matter: "You have to push the pedals, Clara! PUUUSH!").
At any rate, I decided to collapse our double tandem stroller and one of our single strollers to clear up some space in the garage. As I folded up the single stroller, a little frog toy fell out of it. I thought to myself, "Huh. I didn't know Clara had a little frog toy." I reached out to pick it up... And then it hopped into the air.
Now, to give you the most accurate account of what happened next, I have chosen to include the following Q & A:
Question: When the frog hopped into the air, did you scream like a little girl?
Answer: Absolutely. Well, I should qualify that: I don't know if the utterly inhuman noise that came out of my mouth can count as the scream of a little girl, but I certainly expelled some noise.
Question: Did any of that noise take the form of an expletive?
Answer: No. I didn't even think an expletive in my addled mind, although later I kind of wished I had, since I thought it would make for a more interesting post.
Question: Did you bravely scoop the little frog from its hiding place behind the lawn mower and take it to a safe location 100 yards from your home?
Answer: I did not. Instead, I bravely went into the house and said to Jeremy, "I know you're working, but..." He loves it when I begin sentences that way. Nevertheless, he gently scooped the frog into the lid of a garbage can and carried it to the yard of a vacant house in the 'hood. He said he thought the junipers there would give our amphibious visitor the best chance for survival. Then he ruminated for several minutes about how frogs always pee when you pick them up. He showed me the little damp spot on the lid to prove it. It must be true.
Question: Did you have the presence of mind to photograph your intrepid green visitor?
Answer: Unfortunately, I had almost no presence of mind whatsoever. But just so you know, it was about the size of my head. Either that, or it was about the size of a fifty-cent piece and as green as a verdant forest. You pick.

5 comments:
You MUST write a book about the experiences of every day mothering. If you were here and could see my teary eyes (from the laughter) and my rosey face (from the laughter), you would know that bringing such comic relief to your MOM only is not to be borne. You must share your wit with the masses!
I agree with your mama. You are a real live blogger, Rachel. Also a wuss.
Hahahahahahaha! That is me laughing at this story, because, wow, was it amusing. I would have reacted the same way, by the way. I don't think I have EVER held a frog, because the very thought of it creeps me out. Great story, though... :)
I think I would have done the same thing. Nick used to catch frogs when he was little and tried his hand a bit in New York but wasn't successful he would have loved that!!
Rachel, that is hilarious. You have ended my day with a great big smile. :)
Post a Comment