Sunday, October 18, 2009

A little autumn trip


A few weeks ago we took a little overnight trip with some friends. We rented a vacation house on the banks of what I think might be the Priest River, although I wouldn't swear to that. The house was right on the water, as you can see, and I loved it. So charming! It had a terrific attic/loft space with sleeping space for six as well as a fun play space. Downstairs was additional sleeping room for three, which is where our friends slept. I really thought it was ideal. The only thing that would've made it better would've been if it hadn't been quite so cold and drizzly. That's autumn, I guess!


Clara had a memorable trip. She ate a worrisome number of red vines, enjoyed a movie while nursing a big mug of hot chocolate, and got to sport this cool fake mustache. But when we asked her what her favorite part was, she said, "I love to jump on the trampoline!" If she's lucky, maybe one day she'll get bounced off the trampoline and suffer from a lifetime of lower back problems, just like her mama. Trampolines are evil, but fun.




Jonathan spent quite a lot of time either in his high chair or in the backpack. When he was freed from those restraints (which wasn't often--good thing the boy loves to eat), he spent most of his time trying to find a way to climb up the death trap of a spiral staircase leading to the loft. I think he went home a bit disappointed to be still in one piece.




And Jeremy and I chased the kids, made a few meals, and just enjoyed the good company of good friends. Jeremy even tried his hand at fishing (with a real fishing pole!). And we all took turns rowing in the row boat. Here's what I learned about rowing: some people are naturally brilliant at rowing (like me) and some people are not (like the rest of the world, from what I can tell). My rowing talent is a real burden, but I bear it well.




Thanks, Sarah and Jason, for a memorable trip!

6 comments:

Taunya said...

Oh, that looks so wonderful. It is always so nice to get away.

Steph said...

Due to your rowing talents, I think you should try kayak. We have a friend who has a kayak and apparently she finds that most people can't row. Since you already know how, I'm sure you would be a champion kayaker. Look into it. That should be your next purchase:)

Rachel said...

We totally went kayaking this summer! We rented sea kayaks with a bunch of friends and went out on the lake. I will say, though, that I think kayaking rowing is much easier/more intuitive than rowboat rowing. Everyone could row the kayak, but there's something about being turned around in a rowboat and having to do everything backwards. It's tricky.

MOM/SUSAN said...

I want to go! I'm so glad you've been able to do so many fun things this summer. Maybe the memories will keep you warm though the winter.

The Smith Family said...

Rachel your rowing skills truly are unmatched! I love the picture of Clara in her mustache, I loved how she said it made her look like a prophet! We had so much fun!

KS said...

Such great photos! I love your orange and white sweater. So cute - you look great! And of course, your kids are adorable too. :)