We got a nice jump-start on Halloween by celebrating All Hallow's Eve Eve, a holiday I'm sure will gain increased acceptance once people realize just how great it is to extend the celebration of all things orange and scaaaaary.
Jonathan, Clara and I all wore orange yesterday (Jeremy, sadly, could not participate since he owns no orange clothes). We carved our pumpkin--which we grew ourselves in our backyard and which had sprouted one or two lovely spots of mold, which we cut out as part of Clara's uber-postmodern jack-o-lantern design. Then we had an all-orange dinner followed by a trip to the church for a Halloween party/Trunk-or-Treat. After the Trunk-or-Treat, we were standing in the parking lot talking to friends when Clara said, "I want to go home now." Of course she did. It was almost 8:00!
Clara, as you can see, was dressed as a fairy. She especially loves her wand (as does Jonathan, incidentally--what's not to love about a sparkly star on a stick?) and went around all day yesterday "magicking" people. I was alternatively magicked into gold, a cow, a girl, and man. And then back to gold. She is a very good magicker.
Jonathan was able to wear Clara's bumblebee costume from days gone by, complete with her black onesie with the puffed sleeves and keyhole neck. Don't worry: we bought him some sweatpants instead of tights, and we covered up the more girlish elements of the onesie with the costume. And unlike Clara, I made Jonathan his own antennae, which--much to our surprise--he wore all night long. It's an All Hallow's Eve Eve miracle!
We woke up this morning to bowls of cereal with milk that magically turned orange when stirred. It's going to be a great day...

4 comments:
We will join you in extending the celebration of Halloween. We love it.
Why didn't we celebrate this holiday when we were in college? Perhaps you did and I was not invited. I like it though. I think all holidays should have a post celebration as well. Think on it.
OK, so I think that Clara must have 'magic'd" her teeth in that first photo because they sparkle as much as her costume. Good job Mom. It sounds like you had a perfect Halloween. I wish I could have seem them in person, but I always LOVE the photos. Thanks.
Clara looks so happy and proud and ADORABLE - I love her little pigtails and her pixie-like face!
I don't think I own anything orange either . . . but I might need to change that.
Post a Comment