Monday, April 05, 2010

Happy Easter

On Easter Sunday, we spent a quiet day together as a family. We had sunshine for the first time in more than a week, which I felt was a true blessing on such a special, sacred day. We watched the rest of General Conference, took a beautiful spring walk, read stories, sang songs, then ate an Easter dinner that was much too ambitious and robust for a family of four. We did our best.



One my favorite parts of the day was doing a little lesson about Jesus' final week, his crucifixion, and his resurrection, with Clara and Jonathan. I used the ideas found on this site to make "real" Easter eggs, where each plastic egg contained a token of Christ's final week--a piece of unleavened bread to represent the Last Supper, a picture of Christ praying in the Garden, a few pieces of silver to represent Judas' betrayal, etc. The final egg is empty, representing the empty tomb and the resurrection of the Savior. Clara loved the activity--she had us do it twice!--and Jeremy and I cherished having a quiet opportunity to teach our children about their Savior.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Two things: Glad to see Jer relented on the use of china, and that is the fanciest jello I've ever seen.

Steph said...

We love the Easter egg lesson. Thomas will have us do it a few times every Easter. Even Donny likes to open the eggs although I don't think he gets much out of the story. Oh well. Conference was great. I guess parents must not be doing a very good job, because it seemed like every talk had something to do with teaching children. I definitely felt an urgency and guilt that I needed to do better. Hope all is well. We love you both.

Julia said...

Mmmm.... I thought of you and your Easter bread on Sunday.

MOM/SUSAN said...

Thanks for the sweetest gift a grandmother could hope for. Grandchildren growing up in a home full of love and faith.

Cormorant said...

Fun. Good idea with the "real" eggs.

I'm drooling over that monkey bread and I'm totally impressed with your layered jello!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Ha! We did the EXACT same thing with the easter eggs and the final week of Christ - and the girls LOVED it. They even did their own "presentation" of it for my parents and sisters after Easter Dinner. It was so cute, and definitely my favorite part, too.

Harlin Family said...

Looks like a wonderful, yummy Easter! That monkey bread makes me drool. :)