Saturday, June 05, 2010

When Shoes Fly


Clara participated in her first-ever foot race today. She ran 1/4 mile with about 20 other three and four year olds at our downtown park. We've been busily "training" by running a quarter-mile loop in our neighborhood, where she has learned several "important things" (as she calls them) about running:

1)it's important to "put your head down so the vines don't hit you" (duck under the weeping willow around the corner);
2)it's important to pump your arms while you run;
3)it's important to "put your eyebrows down so you can beat the other runners" (she is very sensitively attuned to the various emotions eyebrows can communicate; when they're "down," people are either angry, frustrated, or--evidently--determined).

So yes, she was clearly very well prepared for the race and had a stellar time. She chose her own race garb and wore her "fast shoes." I was worried when we first got to the park, since she wouldn't let the volunteer write a number 3 on her leg, even though she had been so excited about body marking that I brought my own sharpie just in case leg numbers weren't on the menu. She also flatly refused to wear her race number or make eye contact with anyone or let me put her down. But she soon rallied, remembered her "important things," and had her game face on before the race began.

She had the option of me running with her, which she declined, and as we headed for the starting line she overheard a little boy saying, "Mom, I'm going to win!" She got really concerned and said to me, "No, I'm going to win, right? Aren't I going to win, Mom?" I told her she should just have fun and not worry about winning, and I think she took my advice, since winning never came up again.

By the time she crossed the finish line (it didn't take long), her face was lit up with the joy of sport. I will admit to getting a little teary at watching my girl sprint to the finish (see--I do have a heart!). She's all set for next year. Here's hoping we can find a race for her wherever we happen to live!







12 comments:

Paul said...

The smile at the finish line shows the results of an "eyebrows down" run. Congratulations to Clara for finishing her first race in such glorious fashion. And I can tell from the pictures that the shoes were fast.

MOM/SUSAN said...

Glorious! The look on her face as she's approaching the finish line is worth everything. Way to go Clara, you are a runner. Isn't it fun?!

Sutton Family said...

She was so proud to show me her medal today at church and tell me about the goodie bag she got at the race. That's one cute kid you got there!

Chris said...

These pictures capture the most pure form of sport I've ever seen.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

This is so cute - who organized this? Was it a church thing or a community thing?

Megan said...

Adorable. To the point of almost being unable to stand it. Also, with a little doctoring we could make the picture of her drinking water into the most successful Sports Drink ad known to man.

Ericka said...

Oh my goodness, this is the cutest thing ever! I almost shed a little tear just reading it! Little Miss Clara sure isn't so little anymore! How sweet.

Anonymous said...

As usual I am smiling when I read your blog. Thank for "my coffee breaks" of wonderful sharing. I visit your blog at work. Hurray for Clara and her fast shoes, her determination, and her wonderful mother for sharing and her wonderful talent of writing and making us all feel that were are right there cheering Clara on. Sorry about ending the sentence with a preposition. Hugs to all the Weltons.

Autumn said...

I didn't know they have races for such little kids. Way to go Clara! What a runner you are going to be. Hooray!

Naomi said...

A.Dor.A.Ble!!!!!!

This is just so much fun! I can't wait to live in a place that has fun things like this. And where you aren't melting just by being outside.

Give Clara a HUGE high-five from me.

The Tolboe family said...

She is So cute. I love that little face. Way to go, little girl.

KS said...

I love it! What a fun thing to do. I don't know why, but my favorite picture is the one of Clara drinking her water. She is adorable!