Saturday, July 23, 2011

Oly on my mind



My parents' basement is good for lots of things, like staying cool on a hot day, corralling children and mess into a relatively contained space, preserving sanity when two families share a house for two months, etc. But it is also super good for staging Olympic feats of strength, speed, and agility with two restless children.

Jonathan and Clara competed in events like rolling, somersaulting, the running long jump, and the standing high jump (an event that's hilarious both because it's ridiculous and because it actually used to be an Olympic sport).



I think everyone's favorite event, though, was the high-intensity Dad Dive. At least it's the one I liked most.


We finished each Games with a medals ceremony (in which shiny if invisible medals were awarded) and a rousing rendition of the National Anthem. Trust me: we'll be ready for London 2012.

5 comments:

Naomi said...

That looks like an insane amount of fun! I like the idea. I think I might have to use it.

Tandy said...

Rachel, I was kind of hoping for an action shot of YOU doing something like what Jeremy is doing in that picture. Could you post one of those? I know you're pretty modest, but let your talents SHINE, sister! (;
You guys are great! Thinking about you all and that baby! *so excited*

We Joneses said...

ha! I think I'm going to go see if I can find some videos of olympic standing high jump. We used to use canning jar lids for medals, and the treadmill handles for the parallel bars (though I recommend it with reservations....)

Robyn DeGaetano said...

It is so hard for me to imagine Jeremy doing that in real life - good thing you have the pictures as proof. ;)

The Tolboe family said...

So, what I want to know is did that high-intensity dive hurt on the way down? Way to go, Bryson family!