Saturday, May 19, 2012

He said, "Cosette, I love you very much"

Fair warning: so, so long and so many pictures.

Another very grand event in our family took place in April, when my dear (and only) brother Christopher married his lady love Cosette. The Blessed (pronounced bless-ed) Event, as well as the anticipation of said Blessed Event, was cause for much excitement in our home. Jonathan, for example, told us in February that the best thing he ever did in life was to meet Aunt Cosette, and this was two months before we laid eyes on her (though I must admit that none of us were disappointed by our new aunt/sister/friend).

The only real cause for concern was how little Chris and Cosette seemed to consider our personal schedule when deciding when to get married. I am still alarmed that they don't seem to know around whom the good earth revolves (namely, moi). What I'm saying is that they had the audacity to schedule their wedding on their own terms (boo!), which meant I had to drive to Arizona (where they abide) all by my onesie with my three babies on board. Jeremy, who was deep in the throes of molding young minds, flew out the day before the wedding and did (mercifully) drive home with us. But on the way there I was flying (driving?) solo. Or, worse than flying solo, since I had to bring all those kids.


The drive wasn't quite as bad as I feared it would be. I was well prepared with lots of snacks and activities, and I am proud to say that only once in three days of driving did I lose my temper to the extent that I felt obligated to beg forgiveness of Clara and Jonathan. That's not too bad, I think. It also helped that we broke up the long drive most pleasantly with a stop at my aunt and uncle's home in Oklahoma (though they were, sadly  for me, on vacation), a night in Albuquerque, and two nights with Jeremy's sister and her family in eastern Arizona. 

My aunt and uncle's house is the perfect grandparent house, and my kids loved staying there, playing in the playroom, and giggling profusely over air hockey. I honestly think they would have been satisfied to stay there indefinitely. 




The next day brought an unexpected highlight of a stop in tiny Vega, Texas. I am inclined, after my visit there, to say that Vega is kind of an extremely sad little town, but it does have a really wonderful city park, though it's probably unbearable in the heat of summer. I guess most things are. But I think, truthfully, it got us through the day.




Albuquerque was nice, though I didn't get much time to explore. We did all manage to fall asleep in the hotel without much trouble, though I vowed very soon to never share a bed with Jonathan, who passed the night by kicking and punching me in his sleep. 



I was pretty pumped, on our drive past Albuquerque, to learn that we'd be going through Hatch, New Mexico, notable, as you may know, for being the Chile Capital of the World, and also home to the famous Hatch chile. As a fan and friend to all chile peppers, I was very happy to stop and eat one. Here are the kids outside the Pepper Pot restaurant, posing in front of signs just so my sister can have something to tease me about (Holla, Megan!).



Surely the highlight of our pre-wedding travel was our stop with Jeremy's sister, Sarah. You may recall from my last post how much those kiddles love them some cousins. And these cousins are such fun! Sarah and Chan and their girls recently moved into a beautiful new home, and their landscaping is not done (though some of it may be by this writing, if I'm remembering the schedule...). Nevertheless, you cannot imagine happier children who played all day in the backyard and came into the house dirtier than I've ever seen them. 





Then, finally, we made it to Mesa. My whole family (minus Jeremy) arrived the same day we did (yes, cousins again!) and although it was certainly a whirlwind of a weekend, I had a wonderful time. Chris and Cosette got married in the Mesa Arizona Temple in a perfect, beautiful, touching ceremony, and then the proceeded to throw the most boss reception I've ever been to. Even for non-party-people like me and Jeremy, it was terrific fun. Highlights (for me) included the lemonade with the flavored syrups, the potstickers, the Greek salad (oh, snap!), and the gelato. Was all of that food? Then I will add two more highlights: the photo booth (awesome) and watching my kids dance with their cousins. Also, I cannot help but mention the pre-wedding lunch at Tia Rosa's. I am (almost) ashamed to admit that I would drive to Arizona again just for those refried beans. I am not entirely joking. 









Also, Jeremy is concerned about just how much Christopher and I look alike. He may have told me he can never look me in the eye again. His loss.







Our trip home was long, of course, but fairly uneventful, though I was really excited about our much too short stays in Santa Fe, New Mexico and Dodge City, Kansas (yes, of  "Get out of Dodge" fame). I want to go back to both places (Santa Fe especially, if I could only pick one). But despite all the chaos and travel and exhaustion, I came home even more committed to making my marriage and family stronger every day. I appreciated the way Jeremy's sister and her family teach their children the gospel in their home. And being together with Jeremy and my parents and siblings while we witnessed the creation of a new, eternal family is an experience I will always treasure. I can't think of anything that matters more to me than what Jeremy and I are doing to raise our family. And I thank Chris and Cosette not only for the delicious food but for the reminder that family happiness can last forever. I think they're off to a good start.


5 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

Glory be! You're the best Rachel. It was so worth the wait. We loved every single photo, but Dad just about fell off his chair looking at the one of Clara in the car, pretty in pink and wearing her sun glasses.
Love you!

Katie said...

Wow - you are a champion doing that entire drive by yourself! That is pretty amazing! I can't believe your little brother is married! He and his wife are darling. I loved reading about your adventures.

Emily said...

You truly are Super Woman. Not only did you drive across the country with three children by yourself, you actually stopped for things other than bathroom breaks. And blogged about it less than a month after it happened. You are my hero.

Emily said...

P.S. I have lost my temper in that very same situation and also had to apologize.

Steph said...

Holy cow Rachel! You are a super mom. You definitely make me feel like I should stop complaining about driving to Utah with Steve for my brother's wedding this summer. I am a wimp. And your kids are darling. I love your baby. And I would love to visit you in Missouri. Don't know when that will happen, but it needs to. Love you.