Friday, September 21, 2007

Not a crushing disappointment

So far, the net result of Clara's allergies (for me, anyway) can be summed up in one word: hunger. I'm compelled to not be hungry and to get lots of good nutrients to keep Momma's Dairy Bar as healthy and delicious for Clara as possible. The problem is, I have never been the most deliberate eater, especially during the summer, so not being able to eat toast or have a sandwich or a quesadilla on a moment's notice has left me feeling perpetually peckish. In a moment of borderline self-pity, I decided to cheer myself up by making an approximation of one of my ultimate childhood comfort foods: cooked white rice with a bit of butter, sugar, cinnamon, and milk. Of course I substituted Earth Balance "buttery spread" for the butter and a bit of soymilk for the milk. And as I stirred it up and took my first bite, preparing to be disappointed, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually pretty good. Not quite the same, but still sweet and warm and comforting. Now on to the next task: finding the perfect wheat-free bread recipe.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I should get you in contact with one of my girlfriends, Aurie Jenkins, (her blog is linked on mine), she is the queen of wheat-free cooking, among other forms of deprived food-making. :) I will drop Naomi an email later that she can forward to you if you like. Good luck!

Kristin said...

Hey, I don't know if you remember me, but we used to work at the BYUSA office and I was good friends with Naomi and Jarum at Wymount. Anywho, I have a son with several food allergies (milk, eggs, nuts, bananas, citrus, minimally to wheat), and we've collected a list of meals and snacks over the last few years that avoid those foods. If you'd like, I could pass it on. There's a link to my blog on Naomi's site if you want to get in touch with me.
Kristin Plummer