Thursday, September 06, 2007

Personal libraries are the new bomb shelters

The past few weeks have seen quite a bit of media scuttlebutt about the sad state of reading in America. Basically, we Americans are barely literate, if you count reading actual books as a measure of literacy. Which I kind of do, since I really enjoy reading actual books. (Of course, if you are doing other kinds of reading, like magazines, newspapers, etc., I think that should count for something, although I don't think the Surveyors of American Literacy took that into account.) At any event, I came across two new sources on this subject today: first, an article exploring why women read more than men (the mirror neurons being my favorite theory); second, the second half of today's Diane Rehm show, wherein the participants discussed American reading habits in terms of best-seller lists. Intriguing stuff, I declare. (For those of you who, like me, respect Diane Rehm's fight against her vocal afflictions but nevertheless do not necessarily relish hearing her actual voice, you will be relieved to know that she had a guest host today.)

I guess the heart of the issue is that people who love to read are gravely concerned that up and coming generations seem to take little pleasure in books. If young people don't like to read and would rather spend the bulk of their time on the computer or phone or playing video games, where does that leave book lovers a generation from now? This has no doubt been a concern for many generations, but I have to imagine that the other-than-reading alternatives are now more pervasive and powerful than they have ever been. Thus, I am thinking about stockpiling books so that when the publishing industry implodes and Apple takes over the world (perish the thought) at least I will still have something to do.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I listend to that part of Diane Rehm today on the way to Provo, and I found it very interesting, especially since I'm about to embark on a voyage of fiction editing this semester. And as far as world take-overs go, I support Google over Apple.

Naomi said...

*shudders at Apple taking over the world*

This is precisely why I buy books instead of checking them out from the library (which drives Mom nuts for some reason). I mean, I do enjoy going to the library every now and again, but I love having my own copies of my favorite tomes to read whenever I feel the urge. Plus, having books in the home sets a good example to the children who see said books on a regular basis.