Friday, February 08, 2008

Geo


Jeremy and I decided this week that we should have a competition to see which of us knew more about world geography. Many people would think that Jeremy would be an expert at such a challenge, but if you know him then you know he's not really the kind of geographer who knows stuff like where places are. Boring! :) Believe it or not, we are pretty evenly matched, although that doesn't mean that either of us are very good.

We found a fun website that has a series of interactive geography games, and after going through all of the world regions (other than North America--give me a break) Jeremy officially won by correctly labeling 46 percent of the world. I, alas, could only label 44 percent. Try it out! We played the "Level 5" games, which are actually quite tough since you don't get to see contextual outlines of the rest of the countries on the map. One country shows up at a time somewhere within the outline of the whole region, and your task is to type the first three letters of the country. Asia was our best region. I did pretty well in Europe. Oceania is totally impossible (a box appears around countless tiny island nations, and you have to know which one is which?? I kept typing "Fij" for Fiji over and over until I finally got it. :)

We are planning a rematch for Febrary 14. Jeremy is getting quite cocky and is already referring to it as the Valentine's Day Massacre. Ahhh...

Try it out! See if you can beat us!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

when it comes to a battle of smarts i would never assume that jeremy would do better than you. sorry pip.