And of course I mean "grind" here in the sense of "grinding up old food and chicken bones." Because this is what happened: Anyone who knows me well knows that I am a notoriously light sleeper. This was true even before my Mighty Mom senses kicked in when Clara came home. So last night, I was snoozing away in whatever light sleep cycle I spend most of my time in when suddenly, at 2:30 in the morning, I heard a soft "thud" followed by a distant whirring. At first I thought I was just hearing the fan we keep on in the hallway for white noise, but before long I realized something more sinister was afoot.
In the past, if something like this had occurred I would have immediately woken Jeremy to go investigate, but because of 1)our super-duper deadbold and 2)our squeakier than squeaky floors (seriously), I feel extremely confident that no intruder would dare come into our house to steal our finery. Or at least if they did we would hear them easily. And since no squeaky footsteps preceeded the "thud," I decided to investigate myself.
I followed the sound of the whirring into the kitchen, where the noise became more of a grinding, and this, I quickly discovered, was because the garbage disposal was on. Yes, friends, at 2:30 in the morning, the garbage disposal was running of its own accord. I switched it off, turned on the light, and looked frantically around the front of the apartment. (Could someone have gotten past our intruder-detecting floors?) Assured that no intruders lurked in the shadows, I darted back into our bedroom, stood next to Jeremy and said, my heart pounding, "Uh, Jer, I just turned off the garbage disposal."
I always expect my nocturnal announcements to be met with a bit more shock and awe than they ever are, but all Jeremy said was, "Oh, yeah, I think that might be my fault." And as it turned out, it was. Jeremy had balanced a new loaf of bread on the sugar canister, which sits just beneath the switch to the disposal. From 9:00 p.m. until 2:30 a.m., gravity slowly worked its magic on that loaf of bread, until suddenly its center shifted, knocking it off the sugar canister and switching on the disposal.
This should have satisfied me, but he has made up stories before to get me to go back to sleep, so I had to go examine the evidence for myself. He was in luck: the bread was lying on the counter, half resting against the sugar. And so I knew it was true. And so I went back to sleep. But I will say this: fewer things are more freakishly off-putting than the spontaneous running of the garbage disposal in the middle of a snowy Syracuse night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Too funny!
Ugh, I hate when things like this happen. Like how when the surround sound turned on in the middle of the night? Although, I was convinced there was an intruder, on account of Mom and Dad's lack of squeaky floors, and Really Loud Pipes.
that is hilarious! i can see it all! you have some great interesting stories in the wee hours o the morning...
I love that story! I can just see it now! I swear your middle of the night stories are the BEST!
Ok, that is freaky! I have your same sleeping problems. For over a year now, I have slept with ear-plugs. Bill just shakes me if he hears baby crying. But since I buy cheap plugs, it just dulls out the noise, and I pretty much wake up if anyone really cries or calls out. I have to say, it's much better than it used to be when I would wake up at EVERY tiny sound, or deep breath from the next room.
btw- "freaky" was refering to your story, not the uninteresting fact that we share quite common mom-sleeping habits. :) Thanks again for all your help with allergy info!
Post a Comment