Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fire Shuck!


Clara is developing a few pint-size passions as she nears the end of her second year of life. One of these passions is animals. Another is the color blue (everything is the color blue). But one of the most meaningful to her is her enjoyment and admiration of fire trucks, or "shucks," a type of vehicle that also often includes garbage shucks, recycling shucks, moving shucks, cement shucks--basically all big shucks.


But fire shucks are by far her favorite. Every time we get in the car (really--every time) she begins her special mantra of "Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Fire shuck? Fire shuck? Fire shuck?" She is especially thrilled if we're headed towards downtown, where we pass a fire station where the trucks are typically on display.


Given this background, you might imagine her elation at being able to go to a very special carnival at the public library today with Jeremy (I was at my OB's for most of it, unfortunately), where real-life firefighters were grilling hot dogs, accompanied by a real-life fire truck. The carnival was a celebration of the summer reading program, which we have attended faithfully, and which is now over until September (sad!). Many games and activities greeted carnival participants, but Clara had eyes only for the firefighters, their truck, and the playground. You'll note in this first video a bit of ambivalence about getting too close to the fire truck, but trust us: she was thrilled to see such a fine speciman.



After I joined up with Jeremy and Clara and we'd eaten and roamed a bit, we went into the library to get a few new books, including several about transportation and fire trucks. In the garage when we got home, Clara told Jeremy she wanted a kiss, after which she proceeded to kiss the picture of the firefighter on one of her books. And hopefully that will explain this last video. Like I said, she's a woman of passion.

9 comments:

Rebekah said...

i hear firemen have great benefits. that makes them a smart demographic to focus on.

Megan said...

I'm glad to see that she's developing healthy crushes at such a young age. My friends lived across the street from a fire station, and I don't think they fully appreciated firemen until they were in their mid 20's. What a smart girl.

Also, on second viewing of the first video, I noticed that there was a nice breeze. What a lucky girl Clara is to have all of her favorite things at one place!

Steph said...

My favorite part was her telling you "nope." Love that girl. She's a smart one.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Oh, how I love your videos! And I love how I could hear your chuckling in the background - it reminds me of myself when watching Josephine do some of the silly stuff she does. That right there is why I'm in a "I love two-year-olds" phase - they are so stinkin' HILARIOUS! I also see here that Clara is doing that repeating thing that Josephine is doing - "Mama, mama, mama, mama...." following by a completely random question that seemingly has nothing to do with anything!

And by the way, I was very aware of the "background" of that picture, and was wondering if anyone else would notice, so good job!

And, lest you think I'm totally crazy, I guess I misspoke a bit - I made those pies on Sunday night, and we ate them on Tuesday night (they were supposed to be eaten on Monday, but we left them home by accident). There is no way I would have had time to make them on Monday since we were gone all day!

Tristen said...

Avery loves fire shucks and garbage shucks too!! Clara needs to come visit my house, we seem to have all sorts of shucks going by all of the time.

Ericka said...

That is so funny. We went to get a frozen yogurt the other night and there was a fire truck right outside the place and the nice firefighters let Jackson climb inside and put on their headsets and turn on the lights and all of that fun stuff....he absolutely loved it!! Clara, is so cute, she is little Miss Personality!!

Elder Richey said...

We are HUGE truck fans at our house. Has she seen any of the Bob the Builder movies yet? I bet she'd love those.

Chris said...

These pictures and videos melt away all the sadness I have ever felt in all my life. She's so cute.

Mom said...

Sooooo cute!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if she grew up and married a firefighter! LOL

Awesome that you got those videos!