Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thoughts on my recent reads

Since I spent a week and a half in our new house with basically only Clara to entertain me, I ended up getting a lot of reading done. When your daughter goes to sleep at 6:30 and takes at least one long nap during the day, that opens up quite a bit of time to read. The books I ended up reading were kind of an odd assortment, basically pulled at random (and under duress) from the shelves at the library (Clara is not interested in me browsing the shelves for any length of time).

I will say that I was entertained by each of the books, although I liked some better than others. Here are a few short lines about the most recent of my reads, just in case you're interested:

Joan Didion's A Year of Magical Thinking: All that really needs to be said here is that Didion is consistently one of the most engaging, beautiful writers I've ever read. So yes, I would wholeheartedly recommend this book, which is an exploration of her grief following the unexpected death of her husband.

John Grisham's The Appeal: I don't know how old this book is (I'm sure I'm behind the Grisham curve here), but, as you might expect, it's quite a yarn. Very compelling, very quick to read. Classic Grisham.

Melody Carlson's A Mile in My Flip-Flops: Kind of a silly chick-lit book with a predictable but satisfying conclusion. Amusing to read, and it's another quickie, so even if it's not the best thing you've ever read (it won't be) at least it didn't steal too much of your life.

Elizabeth Aston's Mr. Darcy's Daughters: I don't know who in their right mind sits down to write a "sequel" to one of the best-regarded novels in English literature. Aston's novel is more of a success as it is than as a connection to Pride and Prejudice, but even then it seems to be more of a 21st-century novel where everyone dresses in period costuming. Oh well. It was mildly diverting.

Kate Jacobs' The Friday Night Knitting Club: Maybe I'm the only person who hadn't heard of this book, but I think I can see why it's so popular. While I was a bit disappointed in some of the language (it's true), I found myself very absorbed by the book, and I actually shed tears at the end. This is something, since I haven't cried while reading a book since finishing Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath in 2005. Granted, I wept for an afternoon with Steinbeck, but I really was touched by Knitting Club.

7 comments:

Steph said...

So I am surprised to read that you don't usually cry in books and nothing since 2005 Steinbeck's. How about when Dumbledore died or Harry is walking to his grave? Have you read Marley and Me? C'mon you must have read a tear jerker in the last three years.

Rachel said...

Steph--

I am much more cold-hearted than you might imagine, although now that you mention it, I was really moved by the scene where Harry was walking to his death, although I don't think I actually cried. (I confirmed this with Jeremy: he said, "I think you had some flutterings," which is different from actual tears.

I will read Marley and Me for a good cry, if you suggest it. :)

Britt said...

I really enjoyed Friday Nigh Knitting Club, I cried too. I have read one too many Pride & Prejudice sequel type books and I'm always surprised at how disappointed I am when I'm finished. I mean they're okay but just like you said, how can we expect them to be as wonderful as the original? Thanks for sharing your updates! :)

Emily said...

Thanks Rachel- I hadn't heard of the Knitting Club either- I love hearing your opinions of books. I had reached the end of my recommendation list so this came at a good time.

Carly said...

Man oh man, I am terrible about getting into a book. I just feel that I don't have time anymore. Then again, evening rolls around, I have the three children in bed and I just want to blank-stare meditate infront of the TV. It's terrible. The books you read sound great. I hope to pick up this kind of hobbie again in the future. BTW, your little girl is a doll. How beautiful and I can't believe how soon you'll have a studly son to compliment her even more!

Ericka said...

Rachel here are some really good reads: Twilight, by Stephanie Myers (I am telling you it is soo good!) and I don't know if you are a fan of Gone with the Wind, but I recently read the "sequel" called Rhett Butler's People.....it was pretty good.....anyway, those are books I find entertaining!

Rebekah said...

the pride and prejudice sequel franchise amazes me as well. no matter how well written they are, it's always going to be a disappointment, you know? i think people would be better off just reading austen's other stuff and switching the characters out with the p&p folk. it's an idea.

when i was reading this post i read 'friday night knitting club' as 'dark knight knitting club' and i was like...huh? i had no idea rachel was into comics...