So Jeremy and I are trying to make an effort to continue our courtship, since, let's be honest, marriage gets a little stale after six years. I'm only joking! Nevertheless, I will say that since Clara arrived we've had a harder time justifying (or just gathering enough inertia) to have all that many official "dates."
Our current goal is go have a date night every week, and to actually leave the house without Clara once each month. We've been doing pretty well so far, but we're both getting a little panicked about our at-home dates since we've pretty much seen everything the Red Box has to offer, and Jeremy just can't take the shame of losing to me one more time at Phase 10 (I may be exaggerating my victories here).
I went to my trusty internet search engine for advice on keeping things alive in the at-home dating world, and chortled and snorted my way through this helpful list. (To be fair, some of the ideas sound fun, but the list as a whole was a little too much for me. Seriously, what would Jeremy do if I told him that for our date night we'd be painting each other's toenails?)
Since I kind of struck out on my half-hearted internet research, I decided to turn to you, my loyal readers, for ideas. What do you do with your "other" at home? And before you answer, please note that I do not care to hear anything that happens "between husband and wife," if you know what I mean (and I think you do).
But if after hearing the above restriction you still have ideas to share, I really would love to hear them, especially if you currently live or have lived on a relatively fixed income. Because really: what good is our poverty if we cannot learn from it?
Sunday, August 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
have a fondu party! that is always fun, melt some cheese or some chocolate, set up a little picnic in the living room (or outside on the patio) and have fun dipping!! we love fondu! if I think of anything else I will let you know!
See, that is something I had never thought of but sounds like fun (who doesn't like cheese and chocolate??).
Keep it coming, friends!
OH dear, Rachel, that list was hilarious! I don't know why you don't just use that list; all of those 'romantic rewards' would really strenthen your marriage. Oh, but you didn't want to hear about that...
Well, I think you know we are in the same boat so I'll be checking back here to see what y'all come up with.
almost spit frozen yogurt all over my computer screen. hilarious.
one time i had a smore party by myself in my bedroom. sterno cans are fun. just don't get the jelly on your hands...because it will still catch of fire even if it's not in the can.
Wow...I mean seriously, wow. I think there were about 3 normal suggestions on that whole list. I can just imagine asking Lou if he wanted to spend the evening braiding my hair...
Lou and I have done some very random stuff that we have considered "dates" (hey, in our book, anything we do without the kids is a date!). We have gone Christmas shopping together, bra shopping for me together (now mind you, it takes a special kind of guy to tag along for this one, but think of the dressing room possibilities...okay, I'm kidding about that one), we've gone shopping for new clothes for Lou, gone on a walk (Lou is not a big fan of this one, but I am!). Are you getting the idea? You can take shopping trips that need to be done anyway, and do them together! Or just go on a walk or whatever - being alone is what counts? As for staying home, we're boring with that one - we just watch movies. But we have invited couples over to play games (after our girls are in bed, of course, so that it is more date-like) at our house, so that works, too! It doesn't necessarily have to be just the two of you.
So my big question is to whom was the "don't overshare clause" intended? Don't tell me I like guessing. As far as date nights at home go I don't have any great ideas (sorry) Jer and I just like to watch movies together if we can't go anywhere anyway. We call it "plan B" but it always seems to be what we do.
okay I have been racking my brain trying to come up with ideas for you guys~ I even consulted a neighbor who gave me a huge list that she had come up with in her last ward, of things to do on date night. One of which was get two regular eggs, gather a bunch of random things around the house and design a protective covering and see who's egg won't smash when dropped from a high place. I could see you guys doing that! :) another one I thought of was when Matt and I were dating, we were big dorks and we would lay on the floor, or outside somewhere and sing the church songs we knew and try to harmonize.....and my favorite is just sitting around talking about "way back when" before Jackson, before law school, even before we were married, just talking about how we met, and the things we did before we were married......that always makes us laugh!! okay I am gonna still think on this, I am making it my quest to get you a long list of real things to do on date night!! :) as for matt and myself, we just sit on the couch and watch t.v.! We are boring.
You are too cute, Rachel!
WE LOVE FONDUE! I've got great recipes if 'ya want 'em.
Here are some quick ideas:
We love to dance. Even Amy has learned that when the ending credits come up on any movie, we dance! :)
Create a music CD with your favorite songs!
We have our Chapter 1 CD that has all the love songs that represent our dating and courtship. Its pretty funny. Chapter 2 Wedding and Newlywed life Chapter 3 CD is all about baby! LOL
Get a video camera and make home videos.
Plan a second honeymoon. Decide your dream location, and include everything you want to see and do! LOL we have our 2nd and 3rd honeymoon already planned. It's fun!
Make a picture book.
Compare baby photos with everyone in the family.
If you don't want to talk baby, send baby to a babysitter, set up a board game, put on as many clothes as you can and make stripping rules! ;)
Create a new recipe. Or make something gourmet, or outta the ordinary for you. Paul and I had soooo much fun one night learning how to cut fresh pineapple circles and we made fresh pineapple upside down cake!
Okay its getting late so thats all for now. I know you have lots of creative juices. Have fun planning a party for two!
Post a Comment