Saturday, November 01, 2008

Jack-o-lanterns--what a fright!


I have been reminded again this year that Halloween really is a children's holiday, and for the first time we've had a child old enough to enjoy the festivities! When Clara woke up yesterday morning I told her it was Halloween, and she immediately said, "Treat! Scaaaaary..." We figured out she learned that Halloween was scary from watching "Super Why," so I guess that show teaches more than the alphabet. Oh well.



When we speed-carved the pumpkin just before dinner (it's been a crazy week) Clara refused to dig in and touch the pumpkin--not because she thought it was slimy or anything, but because she thought it was a cave. And that a bear lived in there. (She has a vivid imagination.) So that's what she's talking about in this video.



She loved trick-or-treating, and she was a hot hit in her chicken costume. My sister Megan is in town, and she did a way better job dressing up as a farmer to complement my two little farm animals. I did a last-minute, half-hearted effort. I am a cool mom like that.






My cousin and her family came with us to trick-or-treat in our neighborhood. It's been a long, long time since I've been trick-or-treating (like quite possibly 16 years or so), and I had a blast. It would've been even more fun if Clara hadn't decided she needed to be carried home at the halfway point. But I am tough, and I made it. Jeremy had no idea how good the staying-at-home-and-passing-out-candy gig would be. Happy Halloween!

11 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

HURRAY for Halloween and cute farm animals and cute farm girls and cute cousins and cute pumpkins and LOTS AND LOTS OF CANDY!

Julia said...

Love the videos! Clara has grown up so much since you moved!

Julia said...

Thought you might like to know--David just watched your videos about five times each.

Naomi said...

Gah! Oh my gosh, they are so CUTE! I have to eat them up right now!

*glomp*

Mmmmmmmmmm.

Seriously, Rachel and Jeremy, you just have such cute kids!

Britt said...

I love the costumes! I loved the video of Clara with the pumpkin! I can't even believe that Clara is old enough to be talking like that! She is getting so big!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

It's not fair! It's not fair! Clara is such a cutie and I only get to see her in 30 second video clips! She is so spunky and talkative, just like Josephine, and I can imagine that they would make great friends!

By the way, I saw that Super Why episode with Josephine, too! She is a HUGE Super Why fan, and insists on watching it everyday. I can't really say I mind, since she has learned the entire alphabet from that show, and now points out letters everywhere we go! It never would have occurred to me to teach her letters so early - I guess I'm a dumb Mom that way :)

Emily said...

What a cute little chicken and cow! I love themed costumes.

P.S. Staying home is definitely the best job. You better let Jeremy be on trick or treat duty from now on.

Rachel said...

Robyn--

Clara has also learned about half of the alphabet so far. I also would not have thought to teach such a youngster her letters, so here's to Super Why!

Autumn said...

I love Clara's video clips. How cute. Their costumes are adorable. What fun.

Unknown said...

Okay that is the cutest chicken and the most handsome cow I have ever seen! I love the pumpkin cave too! I sure miss that little Clara! I love Halloween!

Megan said...

Well, I was jonesing for some Clara Cuteness and so I watched the videos again. Still cute. And, I miss the rollipolliness of Jonathan. And I suppose I miss you as well :) Thanks again for a great weekend! Although, I decided my coat smelled like a certain beverage after having dinner at that one place. Am I allowed to elaborate?