Friday, November 14, 2008

Tag This!

So...I have never been tagged, but I have always secretly wanted to be. This is much like how I've never been in a book club but have always secretly wanted to be. At least I can now check "get tagged" off of my list of wishes. Thanks, Robyn!

5 things I was doing 10 years ago:
1. Looking for love at BYU's (erstwhile) Deseret Towers (unrequited, as it turns out)
2. Waiting patiently for the first Sunday of the month so I could eat my weight in Chicken Cordon Bleu and fried shrimp at the Morris Center cafeteria (if you'd been there, you would understand)
3. Exploring the marvels of cutting-edge technology, such as instant messaging and email.
4. Learning to walk in snow.
5. Becoming myself.

5 things on my list of things to do today:
1. Draft a solution to our current economic crisis.
2. Crochet seven bandages for overseas lepers.
3. Organize a sit-in to protest the pernicious purchase-tracking systems of national grocery stores with their "preferred member pricing."
4. Write a chapter of the great American novel.
5. Take care of my house and kids and stuff.


5 snacks I enjoy:
1. animal crackers
2. string cheese
3. clementine oranges
4. tortillas
5. yogurt


5 things I'd do if I became a millionaire:
1. Buy a house and pay off the mortgages of my immediate family.
2. Oust Rudy Maxa and become the new host of "Rudy Maxa's World."
3. Change the name of "Rudy Maxa's World" to reflect the identity of the new host.
4. Buy a lake house.
5. Buy commercial paper.


5 places I've lived
1. My mother's womb.
2. Stockton, CA
3. Bozeman, MT
4. S-Y, NY
5. Fresno, CA

5 jobs I've had
1. Gate guard at a community swimming pool. My duties included cleaning the public toilets with a pummice stone, hosing vomit off the pavement, and keeping the nacho cheese piping hot. And one time I let two guys in to use the phone, and then 10 minutes later watched while they were held at gunpoint by a dozen police officers in the street outside the pool. Great security.
2. Waitress at a retirement community. The dining room was always hot and the residents were always picky, but it was there that I met one of my great loves: steamed asparagus.
3. Humanities/Religion reference assistant at BYU's Harold B. Lee Library.
4. Public Relations assistant at the (formerly known as Jacobsen) Center for Service and Learning.
5. University writing instructor. I have guided more than 120 freshmen to greater heights of academic achievement. Most of them weren't that interested in being guided, but the guidance itself was dripping from the ceiling.

5 people I tag
I'm sure many of you are just itching to get tagged, but I can only choose five:
1. Naomi
2. Megan
3. Steph
4. Katie S.
5. Emily G.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Soooo...I have no recollection of you being the gate keeper at Colonial Heights. Except for as I write this, I realize I think you worked at Wagner Heights (is that what it's called?) Wow, Stockton sure had a lot of "heights" for a place whose highest point was the golf course which measured at 12 feet above sea level. Also, I worked at the bookstore for maybe three months. I remember I was late once because I missed the bus from the Rustic Hunting Lodge when I was staying there when you were out of town. I had to be there at 6:45. Not my cup of tea, obviously. After Sarah Westerberg whisked me away to the then Jacobsen Center, she thought it was funny to call me "Bagel Fingers."

Ericka said...

Can I just say THANK YOU for not tagging me!!! My, you are so busy these days trying to better the world! I don't know how you multi-task as much as you do! Good luck!

Katie said...

Do you have any other friends named Katie S. or do I have the honor?!

Rachel said...

Meg--

She thought that was funny because it is funny! (Incidentally, I don't remember what the name of the pool was...)

Ericka--

If I ever get tagged again (not likely), you are the FIRST PERSON I will tag. I just love you like that.

Katie S.--

You are the greatest (and only) Katie S. I know. Please consider yourself tagged!

Taunya said...

What fun facts to read about you!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Heeey, you lived at Deseret Towers?!! Or were you just seeking love there? :)
I ask because I was at Deseret Towers in the fall of 1998 - S-Hall to be exact - where did you live?

By the way, animal crackers? really?