Saturday, April 25, 2009

Aaaaand we're back.

Our family's week with no TV and minimal computer (sometimes you've just got to pay the bills) is over. These are some of the things I learned:

1. Getting through the day with no TV was a ton easier than I thought it would be. Clara never even brought it up! Granted, we usually watch just Sid, the Science Kid in the mornings and It's a Big, Big World in the afternoons (I just love that hippie sloth), with the occasional tune-in to Word World. But still--I can't tell you how many days (on any given day of the week before and including this one) I find myself just yearning for it to finally be time to watch one of our shows.

2. Sometimes T.V. is very nearly a godsend. For example, this week we have had sickness in our house AGAIN. Clara has another ear infection, and Jonathan is wheezing again. Jeremy has been congested all week, and I came down with a cough and fever yesterday. You may not be surprised that we ended Turnoff Week a little early so Clara could enjoy Smooch and Winslow while I took a much-needed huddle on the couch, covered with a blanket.

3. Going TV-less is way easier when the weather is good. We had great weather earlier this week, and I took Clara and Jonathan to the park twice--even though they were both under the weather--and then on a 3-mile-walk (by the way, after that walk I realized that I desperately wish the jogging stroller fairy would drop a double jogger on our doorstep; three miles with a heavy tandem stroller just about did me in, and I am pretty tough). Going without TV is also easier when your kids like to color and do art. Every time I would run out of things to do, I'd say, "Let's paint!" and out the watercolors would come. Since every finished product is followed up with a demand to "hang it on the 'frigerator," we are awash with masterpieces this week--including a couple of my own little gems.

That's pretty much it. Jeremy and I have decided to watch our three weekly shows (Chuck, Lost and The Office, if you must know) online on the weekends rather than during the week. We enjoyed having all of our evenings clear to read and play chess (OK--we didn't actually play any chess, but if we had a chess set we totally would have, on account of I would've smoked him).

7 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

Hurray! Welcome back Brysons! You continue to inspire me/us. But, I'm not going to lie, I missed your blogs and photos. Looking forward to good stuff when you're feeling better.

Julia said...

Our family also observed turn off week last week. I'm not ready to turn the tv back on... What if I feel like I need to catch up on all my shows? Curse that DVR. But yes, I have resolved to give up Chuck, 30 Rock, and to cut back on American Idol. I'm sticking with Lost and The Office, and I think you're nuts to wait for the weekend. You are NOT invited to my next Lost party.

Unknown said...

I am sorry you guys are sick again!! Hope you all get well soon!
i do not watch TV almost at all. I have Netflix and watch movies though, CNN news and a couple of sitcoms on the internet:)... And before going to bed I read fiction. I just finished a very good new book 'Cutting for stone', author: A.Varghese. really liked it! and tonight I will start 'The house at Riverton', a bestseller I think 'the thirteenth tale' style.

Katie said...

Cool! That sounds great! I remember the days when I was very strict on Emmy's TV . . . and now sometimes I find myself falling asleep in the afternoon on the couch and agreeing that "one more show" sounds just about right. Office and LOST are our shows too! Saw one episode of Chuck and thought it was intriguing, but I didn't know the half of what was going on. Hope you feel better soon!!

Unknown said...

I love it! We love not being ruled by the electronics and just having time to be together! Although I do love a good quiet afternoon when eveyone's asleep to catch up on blogs! Tee hee! Hope your all feeling better too!

Cormorant said...

I'm completely impressed. We did amazingly well on Earth Day, and actually the next as well, but then sort of went back into old habits. Like you, though, we don't have the TV on all day. And I simply can't wait until the weather is agreeable EVERY day.

Britney said...

I'm impressed with your screen time awareness. We went off the grid, unintentionally, for a few days during our recent move, and enjoyed the reprieve.