Thursday, September 20, 2007

Vegan-Plus?

I'm trying to figure out what to call my new diet, which has been drastically altered following the news that Clara has mild-to-moderate allergies of dairy, eggs, and wheat. Typically, those have been my three primary food groups, but since I'm still nursing her I am having to embrace the new. We were pretty sure she had a dairy allergy, but the wheat and eggs were a bit of a surprise. I was ready to be Vegan-Plus (my phrase for a dairy-free diet that is heavy on veg, grains, fruit, and beans but which also includes meat). Now that we have to cut out wheat for a time, I'm kind of at a loss for a clever moniker.

We have an appointment with an allergist in a few weeks, but in the meantime Clara's pediatrician counseled me to err on the side of caution by eliminating the offending foods from my diet as well. Right now I'm in "survival mode," which means that I am eating a lot of cold cereal and soy milk. Clara and I did venture out to Wegmans (if I could leave Jeremy and marry a grocery store, I would marry Wegmans) and purchased some wheat-dairy-egg free delights, so I'm sure my new culinary repertoire will just continue to expand. The good news in all of this is that she'll probably outgrow these allergies within the next few years. In the meantime, we'll be grateful that she's over the moon for oatmeal, barley, veggies, and fruit. Now we'll work on getting her to like meat and soy...

Really, though, as you can see from the following photo, she doesn't much care what she eats:

6 comments:

sally said...

Rachel -- this is tyler's mom, i was just reading their blog and saw your comment! How fun to hear how you are doing. NY, baby, masters...busy happy life. I can see that you are even a more talented writer than the days of highschool newspapers. :)

anyway -- just a hello. love, Sally Seibert

PS did you know i used to think tyler would marry someone like you?!! ha mom's are so out of it. nina is perfect for tyler, but i didn't know what his type was so i decided it was you! :) i've done that with all my kids and have always been wrong...but it's fun for aging, romanticising mothers. Anywa you were a nice friend for tyler and if i remember right took good care of him in highschool.

Rachel said...

Sally,

If you read this post again, thanks so much for commenting! I am grateful to have heard from you, and to have found Tyler and Nina's blog. And of course I had to smile at your postscript about marriage. I'm sure you're not the only mother to have wistful matchmaking plans for her children! :) And I don't whether I took care of Tyler in high school, but he was certainly always a loyal and wonderful friend to me.

I hope all is well with you and your family. I've enjoyed seeing pictures of your family on Tyler's blog and can't believe how much your kids have grown. Andrea and Cory were just kids the last time I saw them, and I haven't seen Molly since her first year at BYU! For all of my ambivalance about technology, I am grateful for how easy it makes keeping in touch.

Thanks again for writing. It was great to hear from you.

Much love,
Rachel

Megan said...

Ah yes, the long-awaited eating the tube picture! It's pretty much as adorable as you described it!

Tara said...

This is a great blog Rachel! I have so much laundry to do, but I'm having so much fun looking at your blog! I was searching old photos for my blog, and found some great shots from girls camp with all three of you guys and your mom, good memories! Your daughter is darling! I had some similar issues with Eddie, I cut out so many things, nearly everything healthy, that my doctor did lab work on me to make sure I was not becoming anemic, I feel your pain.

Tristen said...

Okay, sorry to keep commenting! But when I told Ken you were living in Syracuse, he told me to email you and tell you about Wegmans! So it sounds like you've found it already!

Ericka said...

So I guess seven cheese macaroni and cheese and seven cheese Easter potatoes are out?! Speaking of Easter, I would love it if you shared your bread recipe with me since you can't use it anymore!! :)