Thursday, November 10, 2011

Snow and rainbows




We woke up to snow yesterday morning, much to Clara and Jonathan's delight. It wasn't much snow, and it was certainly of poor quality, but that didn't seem to matter, and we dressed them in their snow clothes at 7:00 in the morning so they'd be able to play before Clara went to school at 7:30. They had a grand time, even if the snow was already to hard and icy to make snow angels. (That didn't stop them from trying, but neither of them could even sink through the crust when they lay down!)

The snow looked bright and lovely, but it's a reminder that winter really is coming, and that I need to start getting more creative about things to do inside. It surely is a lot easier to watch the kids ride bikes for an hour than to entertain them inside, but I am determined to be up to the task!

We started our plan of creative productivity by making rainbow pancakes for lunch. They took a pretty long time to make, but the kids loved stirring the batter and were uncharacteristically patient as they waited for their pancakes to cook.

I made all seven colors off the rainbow, having been duly chastised the day before when I made only six colors of dry rainbow rice for a little craft project (which we still haven't done). Clara looked at the six little muffin tins of rice, wrinkled up her nose, and said, "Where's indigo?" Great question. I'm not convinced that anyone really even knows what indigo is, exactly, but I faked it with the pancakes by having indigo be a blue-ish purple and having "violet" be a pinkish purple. All parties were satisfied--and well fed. I ate four of my rainbow pancakes, and Jonathan ate three. But Clara ate the whole rainbow. That's my girl.


6 comments:

Katie and Josh Johnson said...

Hi Rachel! I hope you don't mind that I popped on your blog. I admit I look at other's blog lists to see if I know someone. And I ended on here. I just want to say congrats on your new little guy! He is adorable! And I can't believe how big Claira and Jonathon are! We miss you guys, but I'm happy to see that life is treating you all so well! I like to blog too. Our blog is private, but I would love o send you an invite! Just shoot me an email. My email address is johnsonfamily2002@gmail.com

Katie and Josh Johnson said...

Love the rainbow pancake idea! Your such a fun mom!

Sutton Family said...

Love the rainbow pancakes! and just wanted to say you have the cutest kids. ever.

Emily said...

Those are some ambitious pancakes! I did pink for Valentines Day once and once was enough for me. Your kids are so lucky.

Paul said...

Mom says that she loves how the pancakes match the new tablecloth. I'm just impressed that Clara could eat the whole rainbow.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Snow?! My kids would be sooo jealous. And I love the rainbow pancakes - my girls would go bonkers for those. I can't believe Clara noticed that indigo was missing. Actually, I can. Funny girl. ;)