Monday, March 30, 2009

Bronchiolitis baby


After writing my previous post things really went downhill with poor Jonathan. Last Thursday I took him to the doctor because I felt like he was having to work a little too hard to get a good, deep breath. The doctor discovered infections beginning to develop in both of his ears, and he also noted a little wheeze in Jonathan's breathing. He sent us home with a diagnosis of bronchiolitis (probably caused by RSV, although I declined testing since it didn't affect treatment), a prescription for antibiotics, and a panda bear-shaped nebulizer. We are now on his fifth day of breathing treatments, and he's doing much better. Also, he is more malleable than Clara, so getting his medicine in him has been a cinch.

Anyway, we are totally ready to bid a final farewell to all of the sickness at our house. Jeremy and I are still healthy, which is nice, but after a random vomiting episode from Jonathan this afternoon I was ready to pack up and move to warmer climes. What does any of this have to do with climate? Weather is life, my friends! I think I might be able to bear our disease-ridden house if we could have even the smallest chance of stepping outside into pleasant weather. I know I've fallen far when the dangled carrot of 50-degree weather this weekend is enough to very nearly bring tears of joy to my eyes (really, though, I'll believe it when I see it; it hasn't been 50 degrees here since November). For being just this side of paradise, north Idaho is absolutely wretched this time of year. My kids may be sick, but I'm just sick of being so dang cold all the time!

Lest you feel too bad about Jonathan (I know your sympathy is not extending to me and my cold weather complaints), here is another photo of him, taken on the same day. Happy boy! He discovered just last week that he can get his toes into his mouth. What cause is there for sadness?

9 comments:

MOM/SUSAN said...

Toes in his mouth?! That's my absolute favorite baby milestone when they can put those cute pudgy toes in their mouths. Hurray for Jonathan!

Harrison and Christine said...

We had to use a nebulizer when little Jack was sick too, it was so heartbreaking!! But I'm glad he's feeling better :)

Anonymous said...

I must say in the 10 years I have lived in North Idaho this winter is indeed the most wretched!

Megan said...

It's pictures like these that are illustrative of why I have hard times with sick children. The pity centers of my heart are just so overactive!

Because, first, we have a very pitiable sick picture, and then even though he's feeling crummy he goes ahead and smiles at you! He's got the heart of a champion!"

And, I pity you and the cold. I'm sick and tired of the snow, and it's not even that bad where I live, relative to you. Relative to me, it's just plain awful.

Emily said...

Rachel, before you go packing, I just talked to a mom about living in warmer climates and she said her kids were always, always sick when they lived in Arizona. Maybe you need the cold weather to kill the germs in the air? I don't know.

I always feel a little guilty because I kind of enjoy sick kids; they are always extra cuddley. But enough is enough!

Kelly Mertz said...

Hey Rachel- I have to admit I have been anonymously reading your blog forever and I thought today was a great day to come clean! You totally crack me up and I have enjoyed reading some of the books you've mentioned. Sorry to hear about the sick baby, my daughter was hospitalized with bronchiolitis last year and is was awful. I feel your pain!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

It hasn't been in the 50's since November?! Wow, even in cold old Syracuse we've had days in the
50's here and there for weeks! Sorry, and I hope it warms up soon!

Ericka said...

That darn RSV! It seems to be making the rounds this season. He sure is a cutie, and can I say, quite the chunk-a-munk!

KS said...

Poor babies! And poor parents. Having sick kids is the worst! Especially when vomit is involved. Ada had bronchiolitis twice when she was a baby. We had to use a nebulizer on her once in the doctor's office and she screamed her head off. When I came out of the exam room with her, everyone looked at me like I'd been beating her in there. Glad to hear Jonathan has been a good sport. We'll pray for health to speedily return to the Bryson home!